Are You Using Automated Chest Compression Devices in the Field

Is your service using an Automated Chest Compression Device for CPR?

• Yes, Physio-Control Lucas/Lucas 2

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Yes, Zoll AutoPulse

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Yes, Defibtech Lifeline ARM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Other

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

Nick Gawriluk

Forum Probie
Several Automated Chest Compression devices are now available for CPR. Physio-Control really had the market cornered with the Lucas for the longest time. Are you using one of these devices?

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
We've been doing a long term trial on both the Lucas and the Autopulse. Three of each rotating through trucks though predominantly our outlying stations. Have used both in arrests, prefer the Autopulse but would be fine with either. Not sure if we'll see their use expanding in my area as we currently dispatch two Ambulances to all arrests with FD dispatched but typically only doing compressions for us there may just not be enough of a business case to warrant a fleet wide purchase.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
We had the autopulse for years, but recently got rid of them. The batteries were expensive and difficult to maintain (they needed to be cycled often to maintain a charge), and it was usually too much trouble setting it up (since the patient must be placed atop the unit just right). Oh, and they had a pretty low weight/girth limit.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Our command units all have the Lucas as well as our one man squad in a remote part of the county.

Any arrest or serious sounding unresponsive call gets a dual medic ambulance, commander and fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Autopulse where I have done clinicals.

Fire+whatever they have where I work.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Autopulse. Kinda sucks.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
I do not now of any ambulance service in Australia or New Zealand which currently has mechanical CPR.

They are incredibly expensive (at approximately NZ$20,000 each) so unjustifiably unaffordable.

There is also no evidence they improve outcomes.

I do however, really like what London is doing with them, using them for CPR en-route to a catheter lab for people who are most likely to benefit from early PCI during cardiac arrest. It is touted such a concept may evolve here, but it will probably be in the major urban areas and is still going to be I would guess two to three years away.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I would like them to deal with manpower shortages. While they do no show better outcomes over normal CPR, when we have two people on scene I bet the Lucas would do a lot better.