Are San Diego City Paramedics Making Too Much?

medicstudent101

Forum Lieutenant
Can't hate them for it. Paramedics are grossly underpaid sadly enough. So if those paramedics are making an ungodly amount, kudos out to their system B)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It seemed like they are talking just about firefighters in general. I don't live in SD but it's pretty much the same here. Starting pay for medic is around $16/hr. Starting pay for a fire medic is around $32/hr.

terrible one

Always wandering
Can't hate them for it. Paramedics are grossly underpaid sadly enough. So if those paramedics are making an ungodly amount, kudos out to their system B)

The private medics make around $9/hr while FF/PM make 325% of that.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The private medics make around $9/hr while FF/PM make 325% of that.

$9/hr? That seems way too low. If a medic makes that then what is the point when EMTs make around that same amount.

Anjel

Forum Angel
$9/hr? That seems way too low. If a medic makes that then what is the point when EMTs make around that same amount.

I am a brand new basic and make 9.58 an hour. Id quit classes if that was the case.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I am a brand new basic and make 9.58 an hour. Id quit classes if that was the case.

I'm a brand new EMT also. Making $10.21/hr at one job and $9/hr at another. $9 is nowhere near enough for a medic. It's barely enough for an EMT.

terrible one

Always wandering
SDSME (rural metro) starts medics around 9-10/hr. That was a few years ago when I applied maybe it's changed but doubt it. AMR starts medics at 11/hr

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
Don't get me started on this article! That moron on the city council is comparing Firefighter/Medics to General EMT's that have no Firefighting training. It's comparing apples to oranges, no similarities... he's an IDIOT!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
SDSME (rural metro) starts medics around 9-10/hr. That was a few years ago when I applied maybe it's changed but doubt it. AMR starts medics at 11/hr

I have never heard of a medic for AMR starting at $11/hr. EMTs in some divisions make more then that. The lowest I have heard for AMR starting medics is roughly $16/hr.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
Rural starts their EMT's at $10, medics make a bit more.

Regardless, that moron on city council thinks EMT's and Firefighters are the same.

The City of San Diego hires EMT's as firefighters, all the suburbs require medic to be hired as a firefighter. He thinks because firefighters that are EMT's make more than the city contracted general transport EMT's that they are overpaid. He doesn't THINK about the MAJOR differences between the two.

He was invited to a 1 day fire academy recently, he didn't show... wonder why.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Rural starts their EMT's at $10, medics make a bit more.

Regardless, that moron on city council thinks EMT's and Firefighters are the same.

The City of San Diego hires EMT's as firefighters, all the suburbs require medic to be hired as a firefighter. He thinks because firefighters that are EMT's make more than the city contracted general transport EMT's that they are overpaid. He doesn't THINK about the MAJOR differences between the two.

He was invited to a 1 day fire academy recently, he didn't show... wonder why.

80% + of what most FDs do are medical calls. The other 20% of stuff that they do is not worth a wage difference of 325%. Even if 325% is exaggerated (which it probably is) if they are getting paid 1/6 of that number there is an issue.

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
My Company in Louisiana:

EMT-B: $12.50
EMT-I/85: $14.50
EMT-P: $19.50

Blue Cross Blue Shield benefits? Subtract $1 an hour from your pay.

New Orleans EMS:

EMT-B: $16.12
EMT-I/85: $16.94
EMT-P: $21.18

EMTinSocal

Forum Ride Along
Always consider the source. This "study" is comparing a FF/PM to an EMT. This "study" was conducted by Carl Demaio, a SD City Council member. Where is the data? Carl has tossed his hat in the ring for mayor 2012 and needs an easy ticket. Public safety salaries and pensions are an easy ticket. Clearly he has an agenda. This is not an apple to apple comparison. SD City FFers already earn lower salaries than comparable departments while Carl himself earns 200% more than comparable positions in the "local labor market". Read between the lines folks. Anyone who has been following Carl and his antics knows he has zero credibility.

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
Medics are seriously underpaid for what they do, they deserve every bit! Hose monkeys and the medics with private companies. Im glad someone is getting paid:)

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
80% + of what most FDs do are medical calls. The other 20% of stuff that they do is not worth a wage difference of 325%. Even if 325% is exaggerated (which it probably is) if they are getting paid 1/6 of that number there is an issue.

What? So they should get paid ~$5/hr?

Comparing private IFT companies to city 911 services is like comparing McDonald's to a five-star restaurant. One has standards... the other one doesn't.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Comparing private IFT companies to city 911 services is like comparing McDonald's to a five-star restaurant. One has standards... the other one doesn't.

What an awesome example of a blanket statement.

Side note: I wish McD's served shamrock shakes year round.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
What? So they should get paid ~$5/hr?

No, I think you misunderstood. 1/6th of 325% is roughly 55%. If the FFs are really getting paid 325% more that is insane, and even if they are getting 55% more that is a big difference for 20% of their workload.