Are protocols some kind of secret?

Righteous

Forum Probie
I asked a buddy of mine to share his so I could look check it out. He said he couldnt send it to me because I didnt work for in the state of Colorado....okay?

When I ask other agencies around me they seem to very reluctant to share and I get some crazy looks to boot. Its not like Im asking for naked pics of your sister.

Is my attitude in this wrong? Does each ems service view their protocol as some sacred text?

Summit

Critical Crazy
Google Denver metro protocols and you'll have the most used set in co

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Our protocols are published in a handy little book that's left out visible on every single one of our ambulances. Anyone sitting in the back could pick it up and leaf through it. It's hardly a state secret.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
They probably assume that you want to see their protocols because you're questioning their treatments. That's the only reason to get defensive about it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I use the PPP app as well and have about 6 sets of protocols on my phone, plus google has given me another handful

OP
OP
R

Righteous

Forum Probie
Heh, sorry if it sounded like I was having difficulty finding the protocols. The focus of my question was meant to ask why are some individuals clutching to their protocols like the one true ring.

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
Here in California it's far worse, each county EMSA has it's own protocol, and often conflicting each other.
e.g. Alameda county allows King Airway as BLS, while in adjacent SF city/county it is ALS only.

Other examples includes PulseOx, CPAP, Narcan, Hemostatic, Spinal evaluation, LSB vs Airsplint...etc

Furthermore, in CA EMS and LEA are completely different entities and do not share common protocol. (LE can write their own)
So you would also find police/SAR using Narcan in counties that EMT can not...