Applying for a PRN basic postion

CVJPMG

Forum Probie
I was wondering if i should apply for a PRN position at an ambulance thats about an hours drive from here.

A little back story here, I am a basic that couldnt get hired at an ambulance service so i took a PCT job at the hospital to get experience. Wanting to go to P school in the fall

If I got this job I would put off P school for a year but Im not sure if i should just go through school and reapply at the ones closer to me or take this job and wait.

If i did apply what are some things I should put on the application?

Lo2w

Forum Captain
I was wondering if i should apply for a PRN position at an ambulance thats about an hours drive from here.

A little back story here, I am a basic that couldnt get hired at an ambulance service so i took a PCT job at the hospital to get experience. Wanting to go to P school in the fall

If I got this job I would put off P school for a year but Im not sure if i should just go through school and reapply at the ones closer to me or take this job and wait.

If i did apply what are some things I should put on the application?

Go to medic school.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You are willing to put off school for a PRN job? Ummm...no.

Go to school. Then your job options will increase and improve tenfold.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If I got this job I would put off P school for a year but Im not sure if i should just go through school and reapply at the ones closer to me or take this job and wait./QUOTE]why do you need to put off P school for a PRN job? wouldn't your employment opportunities be better if you graduated P school with a year of experience working on an ambulance?

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I would shy away from an hour commute for a part-time position, but does anyone think he should get a little time in the rig before jumping into medic school?

What's your PCT experience? Are you working as an ER tech or are you up on the floor being a sitter or doing other ancillary duties?

Lo2w

Forum Captain
I would shy away from an hour commute for a part-time position, but does anyone think he should get a little time in the rig before jumping into medic school?

What's your PCT experience? Are you working as an ER tech or are you up on the floor being a sitter or doing other ancillary duties?

Let's be honest with the experience you get working the renal round up. You'll do all your vitals off the monitor...if you even bother. Taking a patient history will consist of looking through a discharge sheet.

I did time in the SICU prior to EMT as a tech and I think it helped. Maybe more than riding the private truck prior to going 911. I did 12 leads, used the glucometer pretty much daily. I feel I got a better sense of sick not sick and treating pt vs monitor. I was lucky that the private I left for did MICU and I got a chance to work in back with the RN or PA and see some sicker patients as a basic when we got those calls.

I think a lot would depend on the type of prn gig OP is looking at and what services they run.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I generally encourage everyone to do this.
Let's be honest with the experience you get working the renal round up. You'll do all your vitals off the monitor...if you even bother. Taking a patient history will consist of looking through a discharge sheet.
I must agree, I did 3 months of IFT, and while I met some awesome people, I felt my brain atrophy daily, and worked alongside some people who absolutely scared me as a provider.

a few years after I left that company, I was hired by a crappy paying private company contracted to do municipal 911, then hired part time doing 911 in a small city, then hired part time for a hospital based EMS agency that ran ALS & BLS units, before accepting a full time position with said agency. So while those initial renal roundup didn't help my career, it did give me some exposure to the EMS world, and some of the basics, and probably helped convince my first boss to actually hire me as an outsider to the 911 service, when all other career employees started as volunteers.

I do think it's a valid question: when you say PRN basic position, are you on a renal round up IFT truck, or a 911 truck where you are functioning as a healthcare provider?

OP
OP
C

CVJPMG

Forum Probie

Primary is in a mental health and substance abuse rehab but in the second part of the year im going to pick up shifts in the ER. Its not really a sitter, i have to do vitals, charting and some basic assesments of patients that come in or have been there a while. We do have codes and medical emergencies come up frequently and i feel pretty comfortable handling all of that. I do feel it has helped my communication skills with patients, ive gotten extremely good at convincing patients to accept treatment they may be unsure about and ive learned how to manage alot of situations (patients getting violent or hurting themselves)

The jobs a transfer service and would pay less than what i get now. Im just worried i wouldnt be able to get hired as a medic down the line

Lo2w

Forum Captain
In the grand scheme of things you'll probably do just fine applying as new medic after completing school without experience on a truck. Your ED experience will help.

OP
OP
C

CVJPMG

Forum Probie
In the grand scheme of things you'll probably do just fine applying as new medic after completing school without experience on a truck. Your ED experience will help.
Sounds good thank you!

One last question even if i dont end up going to the ER as much as i think i will be would i still be good with an IFT service in the end?

Lo2w

Forum Captain
The IFT is basically just going to give you a feel for life in the truck and how the field works. IFT is nice to "try before you buy" if you're unsure about medic being the right fit. As myself and others said IFT can be a bit of a joke in terms of relevant experience.

OP
OP
C

CVJPMG

Forum Probie
The IFT is basically just going to give you a feel for life in the truck and how the field works. IFT is nice to "try before you buy" if you're unsure about medic being the right fit. As myself and others said IFT can be a bit of a joke in terms of relevant experience.
Its where most people have to start though isnt it? My assumption is that if i was a new medic they would throw me in that for some experience

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Really just depends on the company.

If they have 911 contracts as well as IFT there may be a period that you do largely transfers and gradually get worked into the mix.

Your medic card is ultimately going to be the game changer in terms of employment. Unless that PRN gig is somewhere you want to be long term just focus on medic school.

OP
OP
C

CVJPMG

Forum Probie
The PRN job is at a company that I wouldn't mind but long term I would want to stay around here or transfer to their station closer to home. The ride alongs for the P school are done through a private 911 service around here so maybe I could use that time to try to get in with them as well.