Anyone here currently work for mccormick ambulance in LA???

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Hey. So does anyone here currently work for McCormick??? And if so how does scheduling work??? And do you get assigned to a city or is it wherever they need you type of Deal?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I JUST got hired on by McCormick, as in I am still in New Hire Orientation (just got home from Day 3 of 5 as a matter of fact). What we have been told about scheduling is that once we clear our 5 FTO shifts (after Orientation) they'll basically stick us in wherever they need us in the schedule, and that there's a 90% chance that that'll be a 12 hour day car to start. Day Cars are 12 hour shifts that do not have an assigned station, they literally float around the coverage area as needed and to allow the 24 hour crews a bit of a break so they don't end up running 20 calls in their 24 hour shift. Basically posting (mix of moving between different stations and various street corner posts as needed). While the 24 hour shifts DO have an assigned home station, they aren't immune from being posted away from that station for coverage as needed. A unit assigned to Torrance can still get an LACoFD call and a County unit can still end up posting (and getting a call) in Torrance, all depends on the way the day is going, which part of the South Bay is blowing up or not.

Once you clear training you are allowed to pick up overtime shifts wherever there's an opening. Once your 180 days probation period is over, you're are allowed to bid on whichever shift you want, say you wanted to work West Hollywood or Malibu instead of Hawthorne or Torrance. No guarantee you'll get that shift at least at first, but just wait for the next FD Tower or Paramedic school to start and there'll be enough turnover then lol

OP
OP
J

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Well I JUST got hired on by McCormick, as in I am still in New Hire Orientation (just got home from Day 3 of 5 as a matter of fact). What we have been told about scheduling is that once we clear our 5 FTO shifts (after Orientation) they'll basically stick us in wherever they need us in the schedule, and that there's a 90% chance that that'll be a 12 hour day car to start. Day Cars are 12 hour shifts that do not have an assigned station, they literally float around the coverage area as needed and to allow the 24 hour crews a bit of a break so they don't end up running 20 calls in their 24 hour shift. Basically posting (mix of moving between different stations and various street corner posts as needed). While the 24 hour shifts DO have an assigned home station, they aren't immune from being posted away from that station for coverage as needed. A unit assigned to Torrance can still get an LACoFD call and a County unit can still end up posting (and getting a call) in Torrance, all depends on the way the day is going, which part of the South Bay is blowing up or not.

Once you clear training you are allowed to pick up overtime shifts wherever there's an opening. Once your 180 days probation period is over, you're are allowed to bid on whichever shift you want, say you wanted to work West Hollywood or Malibu instead of Hawthorne or Torrance. No guarantee you'll get that shift at least at first, but just wait for the next FD Tower or Paramedic school to start and there'll be enough turnover then lol

Awesome thanks. I have my skill test Monday the 18th. I just have school starting February. I don't mind missing a week for orientation but did they happen to say what is required availability wise for fto training???

OP
OP
J

Jn1232th

Forum Captain

And damn barely missed this month's orientation haha

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
During the interview they asked if I wanted full or part time, I said full so I don't know what sort of part time availability there is for new hires, but you should ask if you're in school full time. FTO is a minimum 5 12 hour shifts on whatever schedule your assigned FTO is on, starting immediately after orientation (so Monday is the last day of orientation, if I get assigned an FTO who's next shift is Tuesday, I'll be in on Tuesday for my fist FTO shift). So FTO should only take ~2 weeks after orientation. After that you're assigned a shift based on the needs of the company (first two months you are an attendant only until you get drivers training).

OP
OP
J

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Okay cool I shouldn't have a problem then. I have school Tuesday's and Thursday's but I gave them the other 5 days of availability. Last question I got haha, did the Yb say if you start off on IFTs or is it pure 911???

OP
OP
J

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Okay cool I shouldn't have a problem then. I have school Tuesday's and Thursday's but I gave them the other 5 days of availability. Last question I got haha, did the Yb say if you start off on IFTs or is it pure 911???

*did they say

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah work it out now, don't wait to pass FTO and get a schedule that doesn't have those days off and then go to them asking to change.....

They make a point of saying that McCormick is NOT Care or AMR, they don't have any IFT only cars. They way everyone talks IFTs are few and far in between for field crews (though I think the 12 hr cars will get them before a 24). They mentioned a few discharges home from Centinela, but otherwise the only "regular" IFTs are the overflow from the County's own ambulance service.

OP
OP
J

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Nice that's cool and yeah I'll definitely make sure to talk to them Monday about it. Thanks for all the info!!!

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not the one complaining. It's common knowledge that EMTs make less than most. You can either just be happy you have a job, or work to do something about the low wages.
Not complaining. Stating a fact. A statement and belief I will state is I think its pathetic.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I for one have always been a major advocate on if you don't like how much you make then do something about it. Do I want to make $10.51/hr for the rest of my life? No. Which is why I'm going to medic school and eventually fire (not to be confused for me getting my p card just to be a ff, I want to be a medic). Better money and better retirement. You can whine and mop around complaining about how much you make and envy those who make more, but at the end of the day you signed the paper agreeing to $10.51/hr. Don't like it? Do something about it then.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I for one have always been a major advocate on if you don't like how much you make then do something about it. Do I want to make $10.51/hr for the rest of my life? No. Which is why I'm going to medic school and eventually fire (not to be confused for me getting my p card just to be a ff, I want to be a medic). Better money and better retirement. You can whine and mop around complaining about how much you make and envy those who make more, but at the end of the day you signed the paper agreeing to $10.51/hr. Don't like it? Do something about it then.
Hence why I got my pcard.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

DrBuffman

Forum Ride Along
How was the hiring process:
- interview questions?
- exam, was it hard?
What did the questions consist of?

How are the people you work with?
What time do the 12 hour shifts usually start?

Any feedback would be nice