anyone ever have a job with a ruptured breast implant ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Please tell all.

As always, leave out any information which would identify the patient in any way, violate HIPAA, your local protocols, or your agencies policies.

B)

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Why?...

This ought to be one of the stupidest semi pertinent threads ever started.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Please tell all.

As always, leave out any information which would identify the patient in any way, violate HIPAA, your local protocols, or your agencies policies.

B)

They're filled with saline, yes?

Unless there was some sort of traumatic injury that caused the rupture, that also is likely to have caused other internal injuries, what special considerations are necessary?

You'll have some extra fluid that will be absorbed by the body, and a plastic surgeon will need to remove the ruptured shell, and replace it with an intact one, right?

What are you looking for here?

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Why?...

This ought to be one of the stupidest semi pertinent threads ever started.

In your opinion.

A semi-pertinent thread is a pertinent thread all the same. Just like a woman 3 weeks pregnent is just as pregnent as a woman 8 months pregnent.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone else's thoughts or experiences on the topic.

That way, the first time I encounter it, having no experience, I have the benefit of another person's experience.

What thoughts? Is there other traumatic injuries that you can treat? Treat them.

No? Then take them to the hospital, or have them sign off. What are you going to do pre-hospitally for a ruptured implant?

nemedic

Forum Captain
Thoroughly palpate/test to make sure it is ruptured as opposed to slightly leaking, and compare with the other one to determine the percentage/degree of rupture. because that is totally important information.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Thoroughly palpate/test to make sure it is ruptured as opposed to slightly leaking, and compare with the other one to determine the percentage/degree of rupture. because that is totally important information.

Important, but for whom? I would think this is an exam best left for the surgeon, honestly.

How's an implant going to be ruptured? Car accident? So imagine for a minute that you have a woman immobilized on the stretcher, transporting to the hospital and you cut away her shirt and thoroughly palpate and test something you have absolutely no clue what you're dealing with?

The assessment comes from noting her report of a problem with the breast, a quick inspection to see if there's an inequality in the size, and in the history: what kind of implant, behind the muscle or not, the volume, etc.

I would hate to "thoroughly palpate" and cause the folded up, sharp-edged, ruptured implant to cause damage it hadn't yet, or finish dumping out potentially harmful substance through the rupture by squishing it the rest of the way.

All this, and I haven't even mentioned the patient's dignity. You don't know what you're looking for, can't do anything about it, and would be fulfilling your obligations by just noting and reporting the problem. No need to get all personal with the patient and "thoroughly palpate."

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
The dude's joking about feeling up the chick..... lol he's not seriously saying thoroughly palpate.

nemedic

Forum Captain
The dude's joking about feeling up the chick..... lol he's not seriously saying thoroughly palpate.

Thank you. I figured it would be obvious that I would be joking, especially since the whole nto being able to do anything pre-hospitally thing was already covered

crazycajun

Forum Captain
We have a label for people like the OP. "A sexual harassment lawsuit waiting to happen". You seem very concerned about Femoral pulses, breast implants, etc. The facts are simple, you will likely never have the need for checking femoral pulse. If you feel the need and cannot justify your actions the term "Sexual Assault" comes to mind. Same as with implants. You have absolutely no training or tools in your little bag to help a woman with this type of injury. Furthermore with a little research you would find that implants are very tough. It takes an extreme amount of injury to burst one. My wife has them and I can tell you first hand we did everything we could to destroy them at the doctors office before she had them implanted and it was nearly impossible. It took a very sharp knife several attempts to pierce it and most will auto seal. No offense but I am glad you don't work in my department. The legal troubles you are heading to could bring down an entire EMS system.

medicstudent101

Forum Lieutenant
We have a label for people like the OP. "A sexual harassment lawsuit waiting to happen". You seem very concerned about Femoral pulses, breast implants, etc. The facts are simple, you will likely never have the need for checking femoral pulse. If you feel the need and cannot justify your actions the term "Sexual Assault" comes to mind. Same as with implants. You have absolutely no training or tools in your little bag to help a woman with this type of injury. Furthermore with a little research you would find that implants are very tough. It takes an extreme amount of injury to burst one. My wife has them and I can tell you first hand we did everything we could to destroy them at the doctors office before she had them implanted and it was nearly impossible. It took a very sharp knife several attempts to pierce it and most will auto seal. No offense but I am glad you don't work in my department. The legal troubles you are heading to could bring down an entire EMS system.

You're kidding me, right? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.