Anyone actually post for 24+ hours?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I know many of you work 24+ hour shifts, but I'm wondering if anyone actually posts for 24+ hours in an ambulance.

We post around the county in the ambulance for our entire shifts. There are no stations besides the "main", and no units are posted there. We'll often post outside the city fire departments and such, but we're always in our trucks. We're also not provided meal time, but instead can ask dispatch if it's okay for us to pick up some food (Always fast food or mini-mart) or use the restroom. I've never been turned down.

That said, have any of you posted in similar conditions for more than 24 hours?

I pulled a 24 once and I doubt I'll do it again. :unsure:

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Both organizations I work for have been kind enough to provide stations to stay at, and post from. Well for the most part anyway. Never have posted on a rig for 24 hours though, 12 has been the max so far.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Matt,

Are you allowed to park the rig where ever or are you tied down to certain spots?

Reflecting back on the show Paramedics (haven't seen the show now in 7 months, wow) I remember where the crews would sometimes get out, throw a football, toss the frisbee, etc. If you're allowed to be out of the rigs during down time this may be something to keep the blood flowing. Being locked up in an oversized box for 24 hours would drive me crazy. I'd make each drop-off at the ED last about 2 hours just so I could talk to people.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I would have to agree with Chimpie about make each drop off last as long as possible. Since I run with a volley squad we get to stay at home unless the pager goes off then we see each other do our transfer or what ever else it is and park the rig in the garage go on home. But I wouldn't be one to sit in the rig and wait for the next call especially on a day when you have nothing happening it is to long. usually I have a hard time sitting in my nurisng classes for more than an hour at a time wiht out getting up and moving.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Our county has stations for everyone with bedrooms, a kitchen, cable and a grill/patio. I couldn't imagine sitting in that ambulance for 24 hours!! I'd go nuts!!

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
Ive pulled a few 56 hour shifts, but as much as I hate my employer, we do have good quarters, its essentially a two bedroom apartment with living room, kitchen, bathroom/shower, and laundry facilities. I dont think I could do more than 36 hours in a bus, the shower issue would become to important at that point.