Any woodworkers here?

CWATT

Forum Lieutenant
I have a cherrywood canoe paddle that I'd like to stain a medium grey, but I'm not sure what the natural cherry colour is going to do in terms of altering the colour I see on the can.

I'd like the end product to look something like the following, but I'm not even sure if it's possible.

Any thoughts?

- C

white-oak2_6_orig.jpg

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a cherrywood canoe paddle that I'd like to stain a medium grey, but I'm not sure what the natural cherry colour is going to do in terms of altering the colour I see on the can.

I'd like the end product to look something like the following, but I'm not even sure if it's possible.

Any thoughts?

- C

white-oak2_6_orig.jpg
I dabble in it. If you work with wood alot, my Great uncle was Sam Maloof. Any hoo never worked with a stain like that. My best advice is if you have an extra piece of cherry wood laying around, try doing a test stain on that. I forwarded this off to a friend that is a carpenter of fine furniture for a living. My thoughts is you might get a little darker shade using that stain.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
With cherry you are going to have to kill off all the red tone while not making it too dark. You would end up with a wonky color. I would use a lighter wood that is more neutral in color. Bleaching the wood is another option but could go many different ways. Try a different wood if you can?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Fishing is right, i woodwork in my garage to fix things around the house, your going to have to do a lot of minimal changes, to slowly neutralize the red.

OP
OP
C

CWATT

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the quick reply. The canoe paddle is one I've had for a few years. I've never loved the natural colour of cherry. The paddle company once made a run of walnut paddles. They were absolutely beautiful but the wood was too stuff and brittle to really use. I did see one person on the water with one; it turned an ash grey colour from use. Just beautiful.

As for this project, I have absolutely no woodworking experience, so these "minimal changes" you speak of are unknown to me. I do however have access to sandpaper and a Home Depot. Lol

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for the quick reply. The canoe paddle is one I've had for a few years. I've never loved the natural colour of cherry. The paddle company once made a run of walnut paddles. They were absolutely beautiful but the wood was too stuff and brittle to really use. I did see one person on the water with one; it turned an ash grey colour from use. Just beautiful.

As for this project, I have absolutely no woodworking experience, so these "minimal changes" you speak of are unknown to me. I do however have access to sandpaper and a Home Depot. Lol
LOL! understandable. Their is the bleaching option, it will tone it down. If you need instructions I can gladly provide. The stain you picked with a cherry will make it come out black.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
We refurbished a podium when I was a seasonal. We used it for writing burn permits. Anyway it wasn't cherry wood but a California red wood tree. Different wood but same concept. It had a dark earthy red tone to it that looked badass. We sanded it down to remove all the old lacquer and stain and we just reapplied lacquer and stain. We did one coat of lacquer in the morning and a coat of stain at night. For 2 days (2 coats each). It was toward the end of my fire season and I needed a project that would take up some time lol.

OP
OP
C

CWATT

Forum Lieutenant
I had a look into wood bleaches. That looks like a great idea to get into the grey-tones. I'll give that a go and post the results. Thanks for the info everyone.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a look into wood bleaches. That looks like a great idea to get into the grey-tones. I'll give that a go and post the results. Thanks for the info everyone.
Just remember! When you pour and mix it, pour and mix a small amount and use a sponge. It goes bad in seconds. Apply with the grain. Hold your paddle at an angle and glide the sponge down in several strokes. If any other questions on the bleaching you can always message me. Best of luck!

CALEMT

Since were on the subject of woodworking, does anyone on here have experience with chainsaw milling? When I'm at a career dept. and have the space I kinda want to get into making my own furniture. I can fell trees, buck trees, cut firewood and split my own firewood but milling is something I've wanted to try. I also have a aspiration to someday make my own recurve bow, but thats further out and I have todo more research on it before I attempt to make one.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Since were on the subject of woodworking, does anyone on here have experience with chainsaw milling? When I'm at a career dept. and have the space I kinda want to get into making my own furniture. I can fell trees, buck trees, cut firewood and split my own firewood but milling is something I've wanted to try. I also have a aspiration to someday make my own recurve bow, but thats further out and I have todo more research on it before I attempt to make one.
I've done milling etc. Last year I spent some of my days off assisting a friend of mine do some work for Disneyland. Theirs a few wood projects I had my hands in. The new wood fences they use for the parades I machined and helped put together.

CALEMT

I've done milling etc. Last year I spent some of my days off assisting a friend of mine do some work for Disneyland. Theirs a few wood projects I had my hands in. The new wood fences they use for the parades I machined and helped put together.

I've seen videos with chainsaw mills and it looks fairly easy. As long as you know how thick you want your boards it doesn't seem overly complicated. Where I would probably run into issues is making the table itself. I'm probably the farthest thing away from a carpenter.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I've seen videos with chainsaw mills and it looks fairly easy. As long as you know how thick you want your boards it doesn't seem overly complicated. Where I would probably run into issues is making the table itself. I'm probably the farthest thing away from a carpenter.
I've seen them demonstrated at the shows ive been to. My friend has worked with them. I gave a shot at one of the shows where they had the demo, needless to say I walked away with all 10 fingers lol they are easy. Are you looking to make a table from a split stump or length of tree?

CALEMT

I've seen them demonstrated at the shows ive been to. My friend has worked with them. I gave a shot at one of the shows where they had the demo, needless to say I walked away with all 10 fingers lol they are easy. Are you looking to make a table from a split stump or length of tree?

Length of tree. Anywhere I could eventually land would be pine, unless I drove to a lower elevation and fell a cedar tree... now theres an idea!

If you also like I can draft you up a plan?

Much appreciated fish, but honestly it would sit for a bit. Currently living at home and in medic school I'm obviously not going to do this for quite some time. But it would be nice having a plan laying around.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Length of tree. Anywhere I could eventually land would be pine, unless I drove to a lower elevation and fell a cedar tree... now theres an idea!
Right on lol just make sure its legal lmao
Grandberg makes one for under $200 and that's the one I tried. I liked it. What its going to come down to is most of the rails go by the length of the blade. You have your mini mills and than your big all in ones you can check out at places like Rockler where you'll also be stuck paying and arm and a leg and honestly Rockler seems to be puting out chinese junk lately at top dollar.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief

Much appreciated fish, but honestly it would sit for a bit. Currently living at home and in medic school I'm obviously not going to do this for quite some time. But it would be nice having a plan laying around.
If you want a plan, I may have a draft laying around and can send it over to you so you may print it as a guide for that day. It's all going to come down to the wood but atleast you would have a guide to help you out. I've done some refurbishment of furniture for a few doctors as well as request to make.
If only where I work had a wood shop attached lol

CALEMT

Grandberg

This is the only one that I've known. My current saw (which in the future will be my home/ milling saw) is a Stihl (go figure, the wild land guy owns a Stihl) with an 18 inch bar. It falls trees fairly easily, but then again I'm not dropping anything bigger than 24 inches in diameter. My next saw will have a longer bar on it (either a 461 or a 661) anywhere up to a 32 inch bar. I know the basic Grandberg fits 20(?) inch bars, is there an adapter for longer bars or will it run up to 32 inch bars?

CALEMT

If you want a plan, I may have a draft laying around and can send it over to you so you may print it as a guide for that day. It's all going to come down to the wood but atleast you would have a guide to help you out. I've done some refurbishment of furniture for a few doctors as well as request to make.
If only where I work had a wood shop attached lol

Oh dude my house whenever I buy one is going to have the ultimate shed/ shop lol.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
This is the only one that I've known. My current saw (which in the future will be my home/ milling saw) is a Stihl (go figure, the wild land guy owns a Stihl) with an 18 inch bar. It falls trees fairly easily, but then again I'm not dropping anything bigger than 24 inches in diameter. My next saw will have a longer bar on it (either a 461 or a 661) anywhere up to a 32 inch bar. I know the basic Grandberg fits 20(?) inch bars, is there an adapter for longer bars or will it run up to 32 inch bars?
20 for grandberg. Theirs others out their same or less price range that do up to 36'.