Any I.V. tricks?

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
So on Sunday I will be taking my I.V. cert class. Any tricks to help?

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
So on Sunday I will be taking my I.V. cert class. Any tricks to help?

Study the anatomy of the arm veins. Having an idea where they lead will help you in visualization. I generally go by feel more than seeing the vein. If its a tricky stick, I sometimes feel out the vein, then use the capped catheter to place two marks on the vein so I have something to aim at.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Couldn't agree more. KNOW the arm vein anatomy. As you learn it, see if you can palpate it too. The more you let your fingertips do the "seeing", the easier it'll be for you later.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Use a small needle when you think the vein is fragile. This especially comes in to play on people with COPD and hypertension- a big, bulging vein may look huge, but the internal diameter is tiny. 20s and 22s are my go-to needles.

Also, whenever I plan on giving meds, hang a bag for flushing. This also lets you give meds from your seat instead of having to stand up.

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
Study the anatomy. Then, take your time, a few extra seconds to feel out the vein won't hurt most patients, but missing a stick from inadequate assessment will. Don't go jabbing needles into people willy nilly at the first vein you see, like some new people (myself included) do. Spend a significant amount of time feeling veins, get good at knowing where they are, where they go, and how big they are by feel, sight sticks are great when they present themselves, but most of the time, you're going to have to search by feel for them.