Any good study tips?????? Desperate!!!

scumbagEMT

Forum Ride Along
I completed my EMS class a few months ago. I passed my practical exam but failed the cognitive. What I believe my problem is is that I took an accelerated EMS class that lasted 22 days which means we went thru 44 chapters, hands on work, and clinicals in basically no time at all to retained any information so I feel as tho i’m taking the NREMT BLIND TO EMS KNOWLEDGE!!!! I have access to jb learning but i’m having trouble retaining any information from it. Does anybody have any study guides/sheets that helped them pass? I passed the class with a 98% but when I took the nremt it was things I have never seen or learned before

EmergencyMedicalSike

Forum Crew Member
Find your strong and weak areas in your knowledge first. For example you may be knowledgeable in cardiology but lacking in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Focus on your weak areas with the jb learning tool and review your specifics

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Hey @Cassie Elliott, welcome to EMTLIFE!

This (NREMT) section has lots of great advice so spend some time going through each of the threads. Including this NREMT Practice Quiz Resource Thread.

Finally, Google loves our site and crawls and saves info all day long. It's regularly suggested that you change your username to something other than your real name (if you're using your real name that is. :) ) Just click this link: Change Username

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Wait a minute. You just hang the hell on. You're telling me that trying to swallow the emt text book like a pelican in three weeks didn't provide you with an appropriate amount of time to have a basic understanding of the material?

Well I'll be dipped in chocolate and covered in almonds....

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah I know there are accelerated courses but 3 weeks is pushing it. I'm going to guess that you didn't read that book more than maybe 15-20% of it. You gotta read man. Get back in the book and read in the sections you were weak on. Then use a test prep site like Fisdap (my favorite) and JB learning and take tons and tons of tests. Make sure you learn the material not memorize the answer.

OP
OP
S

scumbagEMT

Forum Ride Along
Yeah I know there are accelerated courses but 3 weeks is pushing it. I'm going to guess that you didn't read that book more than maybe 15-20% of it. You gotta read man. Get back in the book and read in the sections you were weak on. Then use a test prep site like Fisdap (my favorite) and JB learning and take tons and tons of tests. Make sure you learn the material not memorize the answer.

what i have the most difficulty with is i was taught what to do when things happen not how to identify what a person is experiencing or what happens if two different symptoms are happening at the same time. so for instant when a test says “a patient presents with hypoxia and has acute abdominal pain what is the PT most likely experienceing” i have no clue how to figure out the answer. (and again i just used two random things to show my point”

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
ScumbagEMT (I can't believe I'm calling you that, but you picked the name), I think you might be bumping into some of the disadvantages of accelerated courses -- e.g., reliance on fairly rigid if-then logic with insufficient regard for real-world conditions. You need time to absorb subtleties of patient care. I'm not sure how long that'll take, but it'll be lots more than 22 days, for sure.

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah everything you explained that you are having trouble with comes with repitition and studying. Those should be some very basic A VS B scenarios that you should know. At the basic level it's most likely BLS Related so be sure to actually study your book. Realize that taking a 21 day course should not be sufficient in providing basic life saving care. I know a basic is "basic" but put a little more effort into understanding the "why" and I can guarantee you will pass.