Any care ambulance medics here??

hoeyxd

Forum Probie
Wondering how you like working at care ambulance in LA county if any of you are here! Any insight on the pay/shifts/call types and Volume/equipment

Do you honestly ever make bade and run an actual emergent call? I don’t really expect my skills to remain as they are right now but it would be nice to start an iv and give meds every once in a while

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Don't ever ever work as a transfer medic in LACo, there is AMR in the IE a reasonable distance from anywhere in LA. Your skills will go to **** and you will hate yourself when you get a real medic job and have a hard time. Been there, seen it with my interns and trainees. DONT DO IT!

OP
OP
H

hoeyxd

Forum Probie
Don't ever ever work as a transfer medic in LACo, there is AMR in the IE a reasonable distance from anywhere in LA. Your skills will go to **** and you will hate yourself when you get a real medic job and have a hard time. Been there, seen it with my interns and trainees. DONT DO IT!

I actually work Amr sb county. The experience is good and all, I need to make more tho. I’m just asking for the opinion of medics that work at care, but thanks for the input.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I actually work Amr sb county. The experience is good and all, I need to make more tho. I’m just asking for the opinion of medics that work at care, but thanks for the input.
I used to work in LA county as a paramedic. It's all fire, unless you get to work a stand by as a paramedic you will almost never give medication and never start an iv. Plus you are essentially an EMT with a monitor.

OP
OP
H

hoeyxd

Forum Probie
I used to work in LA county as a paramedic. It's all fire, unless you get to work a stand by as a paramedic you will almost never give medication and never start an iv. Plus you are essentially an EMT with a monitor.

Again, thank you for the input but I’m really just looking for a care medics input. I’ve put a lot of thought into moving from 911 to ifts and I need to be making more money.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I make $25.75 an hour in Houston as an all-911 medic without state taxes.

If IFT is your thing, Acadian, AMR and Acute Medical Services are all hiring like crazy and pay even more.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Again, thank you for the input but I’m really just looking for a care medics input. I’ve put a lot of thought into moving from 911 to ifts and I need to be making more money.
Ok, but from experience I can tell you it doesn't matter which company you work for they all do the same thing and operate under the same protocols. The only real difference is the hourly wage and how they pay you. If you're looking for how it is to work there even the EMTs from care can give you a good idea of what to expect. Doing the IFTs will eventually wear you down though. Take it from a paramedic who burned out there and had to move to a different state just to get away from the LA county BS.

RocketMedic

Are you open to moving?

wtferick

Forum Captain
You can always apply as a Paramedic and get on a permanent BLS 911 shift and still get Paramedic pay... a lot of employees have been doing this at Care.

RocketMedic

Or you could move.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
As a Care Paramedic you will do minor ALS transports.

If you want to move to IFT, that's fine, I enjoy critical care calls too.

But as an ALS Care medic you're going to be running hospital discharges, hospital to hospital tele patients, med surge, etc.

All of the higher level transports are done by CCT units which are staffed EMT/EMT/RN.

Don't expect to use skills or enjoy your job. If you just want to punch a time card, go for it.

RocketMedic

Today I gave ketamine and infused human blood into a hemorrhaging shock victim. Texas is pretty far ahead of California in EMS. You should move.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Today I gave ketamine and infused human blood into a hemorrhaging shock victim. Texas is pretty far ahead of California in EMS. You should move.

Are you guys starting whole blood, or was this a transfer? I know there are places carrying blood now.

RocketMedic

We carry whole blood.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
Rocket medic is my favorite person here. He just random interjects himself into threads subliminally Encourging all of LA To move to texas.

Like for real, he's awesome. And hey! It worked on me, once i get my P Card i'll be working with rocket medic for sure!