Another Stethoscope question

FFMedic1911

Forum Crew Member
Was wondering if any one has seen or used the stethoscope that has the ability to produce a EKG in lead two.It works by having three conducting points on the bell and a small LCD screen on the back.Sorry can't remember the name. Would like you comments about it.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
never heard of such a thing.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
First clue it is a whacker product.

Only reads in two leads.

States that one can "freeze" to determine ST elevation (hmm we can tell in two lead monitoring?)

Ever try to read an ECG with paddles and the artifact of chest wall movement and hair? ...

R/r 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've seen it online... I have to agree with Rid... I can't see a need for it in EMS, so it is an EMS whacker product. There may be uses for it in other places, though.

Rid... I think you are showing your age... we don't even HAVE paddles anymore!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
some places still use them. i have seen then in various hospitals, including world renowned trauma centers.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
some places still use them. i have seen then in various hospitals, including world renowned trauma centers.

Probably given to them so EMT's would rush out and buy them. Ask a trauma doc where they auscultate at? Ask them to show you the surgeon's point. ...*

* Surgeons point is at the xiphoid, they claim they can hear heart, lung, and bowel sounds all at the same time.

R/r911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
no rid, some place still use paddles on their defib

i think the ekg scope is retarded

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I don't know... hmm I might buy one, just to see how many others would purchase and see if I can create a "fad"... :D

R/r 911

JPINFV

Gadfly

I've seen them at hospitals too, but they also have the capability to use pads. I actually got to see a physician use paddles to cardiovert a patient once. His reasoning was that he "hadn't had a chance to use them in a while." B) My old company also had paddles in the bag for the RN CCT equipment. There was a set of pads, though, attached to the monitor anyways.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Let's treat the patient, not the machine.....

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, to be fair, it is important to use machines to determine what is going on with patients. Of even greater importance is having the education to understand what the machine is telling you, and the limitations of that information. Machines are not the enemy, undereducated providers are.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
I've seen it online... I have to agree with Rid... I can't see a need for it in EMS, so it is an EMS whacker product. There may be uses for it in other places, though.

Rid... I think you are showing your age... we don't even HAVE paddles anymore!

We still have them and I still use them.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Let's treat the patient, not the machine.....

I treated a machine once. Had trouble getting a line set up and didn't get bloods for the er. Also the machine didn't act well to fluids.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
My

uncle(a doctor) has one, sure its really really cool!(i think) but we(my ambulance corp) have no use for it, 1. because eta to hosp is 5-25 minutes 2. hmmm throw in a 2 hah.

Webster

Forum Crew Member
I'm just taking this at face value and it seems like an absolutely absurd product. Why not just use each specialized piece of equipment for its intended purpose. Sound your whacker alarm if you see one of these devices, please.:rolleyes:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh come on folks.. this would make a great gag gift for the medic who has everything!

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
Someone probably spent a lot of money developing this thing. Do you wonder who talked them into it?