an open challenge for the forum

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
ok folks. i have officially given up pulling my hair out over a project i'm working on so i turn it over to you.

i have been searching for a piece of software that motorola doesnt want me to have. i need the programming software for the ht 1000 series of handheld radios. i cant find it anywhere. i know it exists becasue the guy who programs my radios would kind of need to have it to do that. he wont give it to me becasue he makes 20 bucks everytime i need to change a radio.

the challange:

the first person who gets me the software(a location on where to get it shall suffice) will win some sort of ems or fire related prize to be decided later

before anybody decideds to mention the following point, i realize this software is restricted to licensed dealers. i simply dont care.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Not to be the party pooper in the forum...

But should we really use the forum to ask for and promote illegal activities?

I don't know...

I am feeling pretty witchy today. Must be the sickness and having to work. Don't want to tick anyone off...yet anyway.

And not trying to pick any fights.

I was just thinking.

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
the illegal part was a joke. immoral maybe, lawe bending possible but illegal.....never!

besides, i really need the freaking software!!!!!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The summer after high school and before college I used to buy radios off eBay for really cheap, clean 'em up, and sell them back on ebay usually for a lot more.

I wish I had the software to give you, but I don't. I can tell you that Motorola REALLY goes after people who illegally have the software and non-motorola cables.

I don't have a source, but I wish I did.

Good luck on your search :)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry,

guess my sense of humor is lost.

I will go find it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'll see what I can do... as a ham op, I have some friends that prefer to use commercial rigs in the ham bands... I know some have their own programming equip... I'll see what I can do....

<Jon walks up in a VERY LARGE trechcoat> "Psst... I got a really good deal on some foleys...."
:rolleyes:
j/k

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I have the programming software and adapters for the Motorola 1000 Series. I purchased it on eBay-Canada for a whopping $245.00. I use it to program my HT1250LS with the UHF Med Frequencies and the HEAR Freqs.

I can prolly hook ya up w/ a guy that will sell the Motorola RDF-HT series programming package.

These guys sell the programming adapters necessary to hook the radio to your computer, this is the only place I was able to get the data cable from.

<edited so I do not incriminate myself> :ph34r:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Jul 24 2005, 09:11 PM
Psst... I got a really good deal on some foleys...."
As long as your not trying them out.

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
ttl: if you can put me in contact with someone who has the prog i need, i'll be a very happy person.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by KEVD18@Jul 24 2005, 10:07 PM
ttl: if you can put me in contact with someone who has the prog i need, i'll be a very happy person.
I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if he'll mind me passing along the info I have. He shouldn't mind, as long as you aren't a Monkeyrola Spy. :p

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Spy or not, the information is freely available on the internet if you consider that most of the illegal and pirated software for almost every brand of radio is being hosted on Russian Hacker sites that will show up in a Google search. Motorola will take legal action agains anyone they catch with pirated copies of the software.

$20 to reprogram your radio is cheap...my motorola dealer was charging $75 a visit to program a radio or a pager. I believe the actual program from Motorola is the Radio Service Software or the Visar program since either work on the HT1000.

Motorola will sell you the software for thousands of dollars and you have to complete a background check of theirs, and you have to sign several forms stating you won't distribute their software etc.... Last I heard, this process takes about a year to complete.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Jul 25 2005, 03:08 AM
Spy or not, the information is freely available on the internet if you consider that most of the illegal and pirated software for almost every brand of radio is being hosted on Russian Hacker sites that will show up in a Google search. Motorola will take legal action agains anyone they catch with pirated copies of the software.

$20 to reprogram your radio is cheap...my motorola dealer was charging $75 a visit to program a radio or a pager. I believe the actual program from Motorola is the Radio Service Software or the Visar program since either work on the HT1000.

Motorola will sell you the software for thousands of dollars and you have to complete a background check of theirs, and you have to sign several forms stating you won't distribute their software etc.... Last I heard, this process takes about a year to complete.
Would you down load something from a Russian Hacker website?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
No, I wouldn't. First of all, I wouldn't trust anything from any hacker site. Secondly, I don't condone this type of illegal activity. I was just pointing out what I found doing a google search for his request.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I sent the name and tele # of the company to your PM.

Don't tell them who gave you the name, b/c they told me not to pass it along. :p Rather they said not to post their tele# on the internet. So I'm good as long as it's in your private messages.

Summit

Critical Crazy
You just need the software?

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
thanks anyways guys. it looks like this is way too much trouble. it would appear the the software from the computer has to be the same version as the software in the radio and different version f everything up.

not too mention that apparently motorola takes copyright infringement VERY SERIOUSLY. like more so than usual

thanks anyways

asysin2leads

Forum Crew Member
Before you plan on going on with this idea, please read up on what the FCC plans on doing to you when you get caught. After that, knock yourself out. (I didn't even bother to ask why you need it...)

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by asysin2leads@Aug 8 2005, 11:22 PM
Before you plan on going on with this idea, please read up on what the FCC plans on doing to you when you get caught. After that, knock yourself out. (I didn't even bother to ask why you need it...)
well the fcc couldnt complain if i limit my broadcasts to the frequencies i'm licensed on.

i need the software because my radio isnt field programmable. it costs me 20 bucks every time i want to change the freq's on the radio, which i do fairly frequently. i want the software to stop sending the money out the door

btw, you might have read my last post, where ic alled the challenge off. while i fear not the fcc on this matter, motorola does tend to take patent infringement serioulsy. their policy for pirating software is a little on the stiff side so i decided to just keep spending the money on it, until i feel like jumping through motos hoops and gettint teh s/w licensed to me