Ambulance on Icy Road?

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey people, I know there has been a video posed on here before that appears to be taken from a police dash cam or something. It from behind an amb and they are both driving on apparently icy roads when the amb looses control and does like a full 360 in the middle of the road. The cop ends up in someones yard I believe.

Does anyone have a link? I have tried searching, but I can't find it on here or anywhere else online.

Thanks people.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I literally "Oh My God" at that one.

Simusid

Forum Captain
We're about to get a foot or more of snow. Luckily I just finished my shift so I won't have to deal with it! I guarantee I would have been driving a LOT slower, or trying to anyway. At our EVOC training they said that with icy roads you increase following distance by a factor of ten.

Speaking of snow, our SOP is to have a town snowplow on call for big storms. We follow them to the call, so that's nice. Also the apron of our station is heated, so the poor medics don't have to shovel!

Merry Christmas everyone!

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
I'm from Florida (born and raised) but go to school in New York, where I do my EMS stuff. I drove in snow for the first time in the ambulance about three weeks back during a decently bad ice/snow storm, went emergency to downtown for the first call. Took my sweet time until I got more comfortable, no "OH ****" feeling like when you feel your back end going sideways.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Me too.....but, Chimpie.....do you even know what driving in snow is? :p

And do you know what vid i am talking about in the OP?

I grew up in Indiana so I have plenty of experience driving in snow, and ice. Driving in that crap is one of the major reasons why I moved to Florida.

And no, sorry, I don't recall that video.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I think I know the video you're talking about.

It's a car, probably a police car with dash cam, following an ambulance down a road. The ambulance spins out, does a complete circle as you said. The cop car manages to stop and avoid hitting the ambulance; the cop was actually leaving a pretty big gap, smartly. Also, there were cars in the oncoming lane, and they somehow managed to stop or slow down enough to avoid getting hit by the ambulance. When the ambulance is done spinning, it starts to creep along very slowly, then a few seconds later, the cars in the oncoming lane start moving again, very slowly, like they're so scared they don't know if they should start driving or go home for fresh pants or what.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it on Youtube. I only looked for a few minutes, tried some obvious searches. I know I saw it there once though.