Ambulance Crash Injures Paramedics

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Ambulance crash injures paramedics

DETROIT -- Two paramedics were injured after a pickup truck crashed into their ambulance early Tuesday morning.

The ambulance was responding to a call at about 2:45 a.m. on Detroit's west side when a pickup truck heading in the wrong direction crashed into the vehicle. The ambulance was driving east on Milford and the pickup truck was driving north on Northfield, which is a one-way street, Local 4 reported.

The impact caused the ambulance to flip on its side. Firefighters reportedly had to cut the windshield to free the paramedics from the ambulance.

READ MORE

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
About 10 years ago my boyfriend's sister and his best friend were t-boned while responding to a call, lights and sirens. Someone ran a stop sign, t-boned them, and flipped the ambulance 2 times. The EMT's had to be extricated and spent a couple days in the hospital... and surprise surprise, the other driver sued the ambulance corps and won. Go figure.

OP
OP
MariaCatEMT

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
The EMT's had to be extricated and spent a couple days in the hospital... and surprise surprise, the other driver sued the ambulance corps and won. Go figure.

WOW! That's terrible! I'm assuming they were okay and everything. What was the basis for the suit?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Living about 20 minutes north of Detroit, I saw this on TV. The drivers were removed through the front windshield I believe.

It's hard seeing any ambulance collision, but I understand both were wearing seatbelts.

rescuecpt

The lawsuit was based on the fact that they didn't use "due caution"... they slowed, but did not stop at the stop sign because there was no oncoming traffic - or should not have been, since the other car had not yet reached the intersection, and if it had stopped at the sign as it should have, there would have been no collision.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuelt@Aug 21 2004, 12:44 PM
The lawsuit was based on the fact that they didn't use "due caution"... they slowed, but did not stop at the stop sign because there was no oncoming traffic - or should not have been, since the other car had not yet reached the intersection, and if it had stopped at the sign as it should have, there would have been no collision.
So basically, they got sued because they ran the stop sign first?!?! :eek:

rescuecpt

So basically, they got sued because they ran the stop sign first?!?!

Yeah, go figure.

You know if the call was at that guy's house and they took too long getting there because they made full stops even when there was no (or shouldn't have been) any other traffic in the intersection, he would have given them hell for taking too long...