Am I hireable?? (EMT)

TLHartmann

Forum Ride Along
I passed the NREMT exam on October 2, 2017 and I've been tossing around the idea of getting a job on an ambulance company. BUT...
I'm 48½ years old and I've convinced myself that no one will hire me because they don't want to hire someone and spend the time and money to train someone who's much closer to retirement.
So, am I hireable? Any thoughts?
Oh, I am a disabled veteran. I was a Combat Medic & an X-ray Tech. I also got my NREMT back then, but it lapsed (didn't know anything about CE credits)

OP
OP
TLHartmann

TLHartmann

Forum Ride Along
I passed the NREMT exam on October 2, 2017 and I've been tossing around the idea of getting a job on an ambulance company. BUT...
I'm 48½ years old and I've convinced myself that no one will hire me because they don't want to hire someone and spend the time and money to train someone who's much closer to retirement.
So, am I hireable? Any thoughts?
Oh, I am a disabled veteran. I was a Combat Medic & an X-ray Tech. I also got my NREMT back then, but it lapsed (didn't know anything about CE credits)

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Yes you’re eligible for employment, pending any physical disabilities that may prevent you from the rigors of ambulance work.

Also, none of us can un-convince you that you’re not, you need to. No reputable agency would take ageism lightly, good luck.

OP
OP
TLHartmann

TLHartmann

Forum Ride Along
Yes you’re eligible for employment, pending any physical disabilities that may prevent you from the rigors of ambulance work.

Also, none of us can un-convince you that you’re not, you need to. No reputable agency would take ageism lightly, good luck.

@VentMonkey Thank you. I know that no one would ever say, "We're sorry to inform you that we decided to hire another candidate because you're simply too old. But, we wish you luck in your job search."

OP
OP
TLHartmann

TLHartmann

Forum Ride Along
I got hired by a municipal 911 service at age 67, still working, and now taking AEMT classes. It can be done. See if you can volunteer, if that's an option, and that might change into a paying job

@Old Tracker Thank you. That makes me feel a little better. ☺️ Question though... How much experience did you have under your belt when you were hired?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
As long as you are physically able to preform the job with your disabilities then yes. It does not cost a large amount of money to train an EMT.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
About 2 months volunteering with them. But, not too many calls during those two months, but I'd only work 8A to 8PM. Whole different ball of wax working 48's or 72's when the hospital is 90 miles away and each run averages about 4 hours and it isn't all that unusual to have two, if not 3 runs in a 24. Those are the days you start hatin' life at 0200.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Most EMTs don't stay in the field for even 25% of the # of years you have remaining until retirement. Don't sweat it. Be professional. Many employers will see value in your maturity and your veteran experience.

rujero

Emergency Services RN, NREMT
I know a medic out of the greater Boston area, LD, who is pushing her mid 60's. She was working BLS for years and got her medic when she was in her 50's. This person is in better physical shape than I am because she puts in the work to keep her body that way. She brings years of experience to the truck and everyone respects her for that. You're a new Basic, but that doesn't mean you don't have years of life experience to offer. In my area some companies, especially if you'll be working 911 response, require a physical test that involves lifting a certain amount of weight among other things. Technically if you can pass these tests there should be no legal reason you would be ineligible for employment.

Here's a thought... have you considered working as a Tech in a hospital? Hospital ER's like mine hire EMTs to work as Technical Nursing Assistants. There isn't as much lifting and there are more people to help you if you need to exert yourself. If you want that truck experience then more power to you, but my field career ended with two back surgery's after one too many bariatric stair chair carry downs... and I was 28 when that happened. Another option would be to get in with a company that that only does IFT's where you're only sliding patients from one bed/dialysis chair to your truck's stretcher and back.

Check out this link to another post I made if you want to learn more about what hospital Tech'ing is like.
https://emtlife.com/threads/boston-north-shore-emergency-dept-tech-positions-available.46353/

-r

Never2Old

Forum Crew Member
Age is just a number if you can do the job. I'm a 55 year old medic and a vet as well. I became a Medic at 52 and had no problem getting a job. Currently employed by a very busy 911 system that runs single role medic MICU's and I work with 21 to 65 year old EMTs. So it doesn't matter how many candles are on the cake. It is all about your attitude, work ethic and skills that matter to me or my employer. Welcome back to the club!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you planning on retiring 30 days after being hired?

If not, then you being concerned about their time and expense to train you is truly of no concern. You already did the EMT course. The hard part is done. What comes next after being hired ranges anywhere from a 3 day to a 3 month orientation process (yes some places are longer), but overall, once you are cleared and work a paycheck or two....there is no loss for the employer per se.

You are already defeating yourself with the mindset/questioning of "will they hire me or am I too old" thought process. If you are thinking this now, why did you not think this BEFORE you did the EMT course. Be sure if you continue down this path, do NOT use your age as an excuse for anything.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I got hired by a municipal 911 service at age 67, still working, and now taking AEMT classes. It can be done. See if you can volunteer, if that's an option, and that might change into a paying job
Holy crap that is awesome. Good for you, man.

OP…….there you go!

phideux

Forum Captain
I'm starting a new job with a county based 91 system next week, I'm 55. Most of the time it's not an age factor it's a mentally/physically able to do the job factor.

William Eudy

Forum Ride Along
I can't tell you how encouraging It was for me to read this. I'm 66 and recently retired. I've had nice career as a commercial real estate analyst and I think I was one of the best in the city but after 30+years I was burned out and more than anything I just wanted to walk away. So I pitched the keys to my business partner and told him I was done. I've always been fascinated by the EMS professions and my mom was a nurse. Last year I downloaded a couple of first aid apps and a quiz on my cell phone and they've entertained me for hours. So I just enrolled last week in an EMT-Basic course at Oklahoma State University (OKC). Financially, I don't need to work anymore but as a practical matter I have to do this for myself. I want to learn everything I can and be good at it. I don't mind being a rookie again or being supervised by someone half my age. In fact, given the gravity of the work I want to do I welcome the chance to watch and learn from someone who has the knowledge and experience to be competent and the credentials to work at a higher level. Once I get the routine down I'm confident I can help them. I'm reasonably fit for my age now that I'm not in my office anymore sitting behind a computer screen, I'm working out every day. When I was younger I was a Merchant Seaman. I served six years in the Army National Guard as an MP and 18 years in the Air Force Reserve as a POL troop. I enjoyed these pursuits far more than my business career. Not sure where want to work - maybe with a private ambulance company or at a hospital.

Last edited:

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
It comes down to how much you want it and mind over matter. None of my previous work involved anything to do with EMT activities except one CPR class. Even if you aren't hired, you can volunteer and get experience and the knowledge itself is priceless. But, age itself is not the limiting factor. Good luck.