Am i going to look foolish?

74restore

Forum Crew Member
Hey all,

Im going to be doing a ride along with West Des Moines EMS (yes i live in iowa) and i have this question:

When I signed up to do the ride along, the lady told me to either wear khakies (sp?) or EMS pants. I do not own a pair of khakis currently but i DO have some new 5.11 EMS pants.

Am I going to look foolish wearing EMS pants to a ride along when Im not even an EMT and NOT even in EMT school yet? For some reason i think the FF/EMt's would be like

"Hey look at this guy...thinks he's an EMT already hahaha"

So i am asking those FF/Paramedics/EMT's out there: will i look foolish? Thanks

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

No your not.

EMS123

Forum Crew Member
You'll look fine. EMS pants/Khakis provide "professionalism" and uniformity. It is a good way to build muscle memory and get use to having things in certain places.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
No, you will not look foolish, and no professional worth their opinion will.

You are wearing what you are required to. It is expected of you.

CBentz12

Forum Crew Member
No you will not if anything you will dress more professional then they do, I know I did when I rode with AMR for my schooling. Just make sure you have your pen and stethoscope because you sure as hell don't want to use theirs.

OP
OP
74restore

74restore

Forum Crew Member
I AM NOT an EMT student... Just an observer for the time being. I dont start my EMT course until June.

Thats why I was apprehensive wearing EMT pants when I have no formal training other than CPR

Veneficus

Forum Chief
just think of them as pants with pockets then

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
seriously, they're "tactical" cargo pants that cost more because 5.11 put EMS in the name

relax

bw2529

Forum Crew Member
I AM NOT an EMT student... Just an observer for the time being. I dont start my EMT course until June.

Thats why I was apprehensive wearing EMT pants when I have no formal training other than CPR

Doesn't matter. I'm not an EMT and have not started school yet, but I wear them daily. I am a driver, and a firefighter, but I wear them even when not on duty / not at the station. I don't wear them with a bunch of things hanging off them or off my belt though. Just a pair of trauma sheers and a pen plus the pager and a glove pouch on the belt.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
Usually when you have to ask this question, the answer is yes, and recounting the story begins with "and then we drank tequila..."

In all seriousness, I would have to say no. It shows you're prepared and professional.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Yes your going to look foolish. Not because of the pants because all newbies look foolish, but it is part of the education process. Hopefully you get someone that will educate you so you then just look foolish on accident when you have done this job forever.