Am I cut out for ems?

jhall98

Forum Crew Member
Hi everyone just a little bit about me, I just passed my nremt and I am volunteering at an agency, I have been volunteering for 4 month. My crew and other crews seemed to of thought I was ok at first, but Im not sure if I did something but after they found out a little more about me they tend to exclude me from things for example, when I try to have conversations with them they seem disinterested, when I run calls with them they act like they don't need my help etc... I have a different type of humor and I don't think they get it, at work its different people get it, but even at work sometimes I wonder if people just act "nice" towards me for whatever reason. I need some advice please, its really getting at me. Thanks

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Doesn't really give us much to go on honestly. Did you tell them something that could make them question their ability to work with you or is this more just a issue of you aren't clicking well with your crew? Could be as easy as you just need a new place to work.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hi everyone just a little bit about me, I just passed my nremt and I am volunteering at an agency, I have been volunteering for 4 month. My crew and other crews seemed to of thought I was ok at first, but Im not sure if I did something but after they found out a little more about me they tend to exclude me from things for example, when I try to have conversations with them they seem disinterested, when I run calls with them they act like they don't need my help etc... I have a different type of humor and I don't think they get it, at work its different people get it, but even at work sometimes I wonder if people just act "nice" towards me for whatever reason. I need some advice please, its really getting at me. Thanks
What exactly did they "find out"?

Also, you're 18, hardly an adult (no offense). Don't let it get to you, or you have a very long life ahead of you. People can be clique-ish in many different job-types, this is no different; doesn't make it right, good luck.

OP
OP
J

jhall98

Forum Crew Member
What exactly did they "find out"?

Also, you're 18, hardly an adult (no offense). Don't let it get to you, or you have a very long life ahead of you. People can be clique-ish in many different job-types, this is no different; doesn't make it right, good luck.

They found out my personality, and I feel as if my personality isnt good enough. I appreciate you reminding me how young I am, but when I look around I see how tons more my age are more socially accepted.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
The way you make it sound, it's not about whether you're cut out for EMS but the way you interact with people. Is that the first occurrence at a work place ? Did it happen before ? People will be more or less the same everywhere, so if you blurted out something that turned your coworkers off, it's not about the industry - it's about you.

OP
OP
J

jhall98

Forum Crew Member
The way you make it sound, it's not about whether you're cut out for EMS but the way you interact with people. Is that the first occurrence at a work place ? Did it happen before ? People will be more or less the same everywhere, so if you blurted out something that turned your coworkers off, it's not about the industry - it's about you.
Thats the thing, I dont know if I blurted anything out, I've had two people say im weird at 7 on a scale from 1-10, they say its "how I carry myself", I want to be normal, not some weirdo.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I like being a weirdo. Seriously OP, stop caring what others think. Done, and done.

Qulevrius

Alternatively, accept the fact that not everyone will want to get to know you or share your values/beliefs or interests. It's never a good thing to open up to people you barely know. You're new, so act new - listen more, talk less, pay attention to character interactions in the company, then decide whether to make a move or not. It's common sense and it works for any place or situation.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@Qulevrius' post is much more articulate and to the point. Even after all this time, I don't mesh with everyone, nor do they with me (nor would I expect them to). This is totally normal.

It's work, you come in, do your job, then go home and live your life. You being accepted or not by others where you work has so little to do with being cut out for just this particular field.

I can respect it being a big deal in your life right now, but I can't help but sigh and chuckle just a bit only because this wasn't my biggest concern at 18, nor is it now, kids, house, wife, mortgage and all. I do wish you luck, but understand I was raised by a pretty hard-nosed man who was put through basic training in the 60's, so perhaps I am not the best person to take advice from:).

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief

18 is interesting years, even if you aren't that far removed from it.

Did that short clip CAL posted from FMJ remind your of your childhood any? Because I am pretty sure I got everything except the "you are worthless" part growing up many times from someone whose time in basic came 20 years later. :p

VentMonkey

Family Guy

Qulevrius

Just to expand on what @VentMonkey said - it's quite rare to find a person you can trust, and having a friend is a privilege rather than a norm. I can count the number of people I can call friends, on a single hand. And to date, I've had only one partner I truly clicked and got along with. Nonetheless, when I come to work, I come to work. Leave emotions at home, you're not being paid to socialize with coworkers.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Just to expand on what @VentMonkey said - it's quite rare to find a person you can trust, and having a friend is a privilege rather than a norm. I can count the number of people I can call friends, on a single hand. And to date, I've had only one partner I truly clicked and got along with. Nonetheless, when I come to work, I come to work. Leave emotions at home, you're not being paid to socialize with coworkers.
This, OP. 100x...THIS^^^

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep, I vaguely remember my dad scoffing at the "military guys these days" circa '95-'96. He passed away when I was 15, but his wisdom has proven beyond invaluable.
Good times to be had listening to some of those things. As annoying as it might have been at times as a 10 year old, there were definitely things that stuck.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
You should try to be even weirder. Ask them to rate you on a scale from 1 to coconut to get how much of a mango you are.

Of the hundreds of employees where I work, I am probably the weirdest one. :/

You have a job to do. Take care of the patient. Volunteering isn't a popularity contest. Be polite and don't make it (too) uncomfortable for them to work with you.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
im an LEO which means most people think i'm an *******.. Do i care, not until they put my life in danger. Bottom line: what EMT school taught you is true, the most important person (in school it's "on scene" here) is you. Don't care if they judge you just make sure at the bottom line, at the end of the day your patients were not effected from the lack of coherence from your workers.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Sadly, due to the average age I think, this remains a very juvenile business. There's really no way around it. You can either accept that you either won't be accepted and grind it out anyway, or find another service. It can take time to assimilate into a group that has potentially been together for some time. If it's a low volume agency, you may not have had much opportunity to make in roads into the community. Give it time.

I feel as if you're intentionally withholding the key element here. You say it's your off beat sense of humor. I think there's more to it. I won't speculate as to what it is since I don't know you, but I have trouble believing you aren't fitting in because you prefer Monty python to will Ferrell.

In any event, it's your battle to fight. Show up, do good work, do your chores and what not and you'll eventually be accepted

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Did that short clip CAL posted from FMJ remind your of your childhood any? Because I am pretty sure I got everything except the "you are worthless" part growing up many times from someone whose time in basic came 20 years later. :p

I can recite the first 10 minutes of FMJ verbatim if you want me to...

OP, you're 18 and new. Know when to ear up and shut up. You're not going to get along with everybody in this career field, theres always going to be someone who doesn't like you. Have you tried playing "new guy" i.e. being the first one up and the last to go to bed? Making coffee? Cleaning? Doing the dishes?