Almost EMT-B Looking for Paramedic Associates Degree Program

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
I am enrolled in an EMT-B course right now and I'm going to finish it in the end of May. I am 17 (will be 18 the end of August) and a junior in high school right now. I was conveniently not informed until today during class by one of the instructors that I won't be able to work with their EMS service, or apparently not that many services under the age of 21 for insurance reasons. I am hoping that there would be some small town near me with a EMS service that would allow me to work being under 21.

The paramedic program in my area looks fantastic (NDSCS), but the problem is that it is in North Dakota (where I live now). I would like to spread my wings and explore some other, warmer options. I do not want to get stuck working with the EMS service affiliated with the tech school here in ND, because suddenly 10 years will go by, then 20, and so on.

I would have no problem getting my associates degree at a tech school affiliated with a service, just as long as it's located somewhere warm and busy. The states I am considering are CA, CO, WA, or NC. It doesn't have to be a big city but it certainly could be an option.

If there are better options that are not in the states that I mentioned, I will most definitely look in to those as well. I am looking forward to read your replies!

Thanks

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
If you're looking to move for work in EMS, you should probably take CA off of your list. It's not the greatest state for that career. CO and NC would be great options. WA has some good services from what I hear, too.

TX would be another very good option to have on the table. We have a lot of very progressive services that pay quite well. Look around Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, and some of Houston's suburbs. Austin Community College has an associates degree program that is supposed to be quite good from what I hear.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I second taking CA off the list of places to go. Yeah it's nice out there with good weather and plenty to do, but I left for a reason. It's hard to get a decent paramedic job as a career and the only good places to live you need to get on a fire department to have a good career. It's very competitive for those fire department positions.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
We have had several employees here in sunny California move to Texas for EMS jobs.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
There are options everywhere. A good program here in Ohio is Columbus State Community College's options of an EMS degree or a Fire/EMS degree.