Allegiance Ambulance in Texas

RiderMedic

Forum Crew Member
Former Flight Medic/Critical Care Paramedic currently working/living in San Antonio as a Paramedic 72 hours a week (yes, good pay) but looking to move elsewhere for a change (though not above Austin area). I keep hearing Acadian and AMR are limiting work hours to 36 to 40 with little to 0 chance of OT. I don't know much about Allegiance except that they took over Guardian (yay?) and Aransas County EMS over the past year so I was wondering if anyone has any experience?

Thanks in advance!

(And, on a side note, I've tried looking into Oil Field/Rigs as it would be a new challenge but no luck finding anything for non-experienced.)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Who did you work for? I work in SA, and am not familiar with Allegiance. One of the posters here just got hired at Lake Jackson EMS. He seems to like it a lot.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
I live in San Antonio as well, I work at Acadian and there is definitely OT available. Perhaps not enough to average 72 hour work weeks but it's certainly there.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Former Flight Medic/Critical Care Paramedic currently working/living in San Antonio as a Paramedic 72 hours a week (yes, good pay) but looking to move elsewhere for a change (though not above Austin area). I keep hearing Acadian and AMR are limiting work hours to 36 to 40 with little to 0 chance of OT. I don't know much about Allegiance except that they took over Guardian (yay?) and Aransas County EMS over the past year so I was wondering if anyone has any experience?

Thanks in advance!

(And, on a side note, I've tried looking into Oil Field/Rigs as it would be a new challenge but no luck finding anything for non-experienced.)

I think WilCo is hiring pretty soon (if they are not already). Good municipal department that runs only 911 with dual ALS trucks. You said you don't want to go north of Austin. Well WilCO is the county above, and not much of a difference. You cross into WilCo after driving about 15-20 minutes north on i35 from the center of Austin.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
And if you work at WilCo, you can come say hi to me! Acadian in Bastrop was hiring recently (they run 911 there), though I don't know if that is still open. Lots of event opportunity in the Austin area if that is something you are interested in; AMR is the big name, but a few other smaller companies work standby as well. And of course, ATCEMS.

04_edge

Forum Crew Member
I know several people who used to work for Lone Star, a local IFT company, when Allegiance bought them out. Lone Star was a very well run company, with quality management and happy employees. Of everyone i know that continued working for Allegiance, they had nothing good to say about the company. I know a few people who have worked for Acadian and have heard much better things about them for what its worth.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I found Acadian to be highly mediocre.