albany/selkirk flight paramedic position

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Air methods is about to post an opening if anybody wanted to work in albany as a flight paramedic. Don't know if anybody is interested or not!

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
Air methods is about to post an opening if anybody wanted to work in albany as a flight paramedic. Don't know if anybody is interested or not!

I thought Albany was Lifenet?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Last edited:
OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I thought it was air methods, who contracted lifenet if thats possible?? However you guys know SO MUCH MORE about HEMS then i EVER will. Any helicopter i get in flys and lands/has ropes lol, thats about all i know.
https://www.emspursuit.com/jobs/NY/Albany/

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@NysEms2117 it sounds like an Air Methods community-based program for your region. If you were to go to the Air Methods website you would find it's one of many throughout the country.

In my state/ region it's Mercy Air (California and Nevada). There are a multitude of bases similar to this offered by their parent company--Air Methods--throughout the nation.

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@NysEms2117 it sounds like an Air Methods community-based program for your region. If you were to go to the Air Methods website you would find it's one of many throughout the country.

In my state/ region it's Mercy Air (California and Nevada). There are a multitude of bases similar to this offered by their parent company--Air Methods--throughout the nation.
so instead of "mercy air" which is California, It's lifenet for NYS and PA? Kind of like a local name for them?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
so instead of "mercy air" which is California, It's lifenet for NYS and PA? Kind of like a local name for them?
Exactly. The uniforms are the same, patches may say something different, but whenever we get an OT pilot regardless of their region, or a backup ship it has the standard Air Methods scheme, and/ or flight suit.

In a lot of ways it parallels private (ground) EMS.

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Exactly. The uniforms are the same, patches may say something different, but whenever we get an OT pilot regardless of their region, or a backup ship it has the standard Air Methods scheme, and/ or flight suit.

In a lot of ways it parallels private (ground) EMS.
understood sir, thank you!

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
TBCH, @Chase and/ or @SandpitMedic could probably break it down further. Our base merely utilizes them as our vendor. We (the med crew) aren't tied to Air Methods per se.
Thats how our flight service is. They are a vendor and supply pilots. The hospital supplies the med crews.

You can see the air methods logo on their pictures (but as you said, the paint scheme gives it away).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Thats how our flight service is. They are a vendor and supply pilots. The hospital supplies the med crews.
Hence the name "hospital-based". There are a few differences aside from that. TMK, we're considered a hospital-based program in spite of being a private EMS company. I believe billing and what not also plays a part.

There are also programs that are known as "hybrids", but I cannot recall all of the differences and stipulations. I do believe billing also plays a role.

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
Got it, I always just referred to them as Lifenet, hadn't ever heard AirMethods thrown around.
Either way, if anyone's looking for a flight job, while I can't speak about Lifenet, Albany's not a terrible area!*

*but NY as a whole is, don't fall into the trap, move to SC or Texas or someplace warm

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Yes, Air Methods owns LifeNet.
To put it in terms akin to ground ambulance speak, think of Air Methods Corporation as Envision Corporation basically with a few minor differences.

Air Methods has assets and runs operations in, I believe the latest number was, 48 states.

They own several brand name HEMS outfits including some fixed wing assets such as Care Flight, Mercy, Native, LifeNet, etc... take your pick depending on your region. There is an Air Methods shop near you. Crews all wear the same dark blue flight suit, or at least are supposed to unless they are contracted otherwise. Air Methods also owns Sundance helicopters, which is a company that does helicopter tours in Hawaii, Las Vegas, and northern Arizona. Similar in fashion, Envision owns several different companies...

They (both) buy up local mom & pop companies nationwide (perhaps internationally) that make decent money or become too great a competition, and they bring them into the fold.

They are a multi-billion dollar company. Recently, Air Methods was sold from its overlord company to American Securities... which is an investment strategist company (nothing to do with helicopters, everything to do with money). Similarly, Envision Corporation is owned by an investment company also. (Of which the AMR brand is currently for sale, also). They are all owned by private sector money men. (Think Umbrella Corp).

To get back on track, we have two main business models... community based services and hospital based services. As the respective name implies, it is simple to decipher.

At a community based service (CBS) Air Methods employees are the whole show... maintanence, pilots, medical crew, managers, and support staff are all Air Methods employees. They also own the helicopters and provide quarters.

At a hospital based service (HBS?) the medical crew are employees of the hospital, they are stationed in the hospital, and paid by the hospital. Air Methods simply contracts with said hospitals to provide the aircraft, pilots, and maintaining the air craft. That is the difference as I was told.

Therefore if Air Methods is posting medical crew jobs, it is for a CBS base to be an Air Methods employee.

Welcome to Umbrella Corp. ;)

Last edited: