Air Horns or Nah?

runswithscissors

Forum Ride Along
We were having a conversation today about air horns on the trucks. Some people really like them while others think they are obnoxious and can be weaponized against drivers who don't respond like they should.

What are your thoughts on air horns and if you like them, what is appropriate use?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Won't buy an ambulance without them ever again. Tough to get people to wake up on rural highways sometimes.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I absolutely love them when clearing intersections. I try to be understanding about not hearing sirens, I don't hear our ambulances until they are right up on us. I also don't run people into intersections that are red lighted if I don't have access. Air horns seem to be more effective at getting people's attention from a better distance when I do have a clear access to an intersection.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I'm a huge fan of air horns. It seems like most people don't hear the sirens until it's too late. You can be pretty certain people hear the air horn. They're great for clearing intersections and moving through heavy traffic.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
When I worked single role EMT for an FD in SoCal, all the ambulances had air horns equipped. They were great, I loved them (and when I left to a private company a while later I really missed them every time I drove code 3....they get people's attention a lot better than the electronic Whelan horn!)
The old reserve units had floor buttons for the air horn on both the driver and passenger side. This could be an issue as sometimes we allowed a family member to ride in the front can, you had to tell them to not touch those buttons (fortunately never happened to me, but I heard stories of family hitting them even on the non emergent transports....) or you know, accidentally air hiring the station when climbing back in the cab after refueling in the back lot at 3 am because your not used to the older rig....yeah I owed ice cream for that one! Lol......the "newer" reserves and new units only had the floor pedals on the drivers side which helped eliminate those issues.

I say especially if your doing a lot of lights and sirens, particularly in built up areas with lots of distractions to drivers who aren't paying as much attention as they should be (read any urban area), air horns are invaluable.

I feel airhorns are a must. They’re great for clearing traffic in both urban and rural settings when used in conjunction with the lights and sirens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
love real air horns. sirens are great, but people can tone them out. use the siren when you come up to an intersection, and when you are entering it, a couple toots on the air horn will get everyone's attention, and they will look where the sounds is coming from, and (hopefully) stop.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
A set of real pneumatic air horns and the Rumbler siren are my two most effective methods of getting attention when I'm clearing an intersection. The PowerCall siren tone is effective as well. Not sure why. Maybe because it's not overused? Our regular 200 watt sirens don't make a lick of difference.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
A set of real pneumatic air horns and the Rumbler siren are my two most effective methods of getting attention when I'm clearing an intersection.

I bet that combo works wonders - always wanted a rumbler! The "phaser" usually works OK for me (in combination with an air horn).

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
What others said. Clearing intersections. I don't usually blow it as a rule, but when I can tell drivers aren't hearing the sirens (or seeing the lights) they get a whole new earful.

chrls

Forum Crew Member
The air horn is technically not an approved tone in California for emergency vehicles per the CA Vehicle Code. That being said, I loved the air horn on my old work motorcycle. It worked much better than the siren for getting people's attention and with the speaker being mounted about 3 feet from my head the lower pitched air horn hurt my ears less than the full on siren.

I have also been accused of "playing" with the air horn while working the ambulance.

CLCustom1911

Forum Crew Member
RUMBLER!!! With today's new cars being so well insulated, the higher pitch sirens don't seem to penetrate the soundproofing well. But that bass of the rumbler really do well at alerting the stupids.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I have also been accused of "playing" with the air horn while working the ambulance.

Yeah... I'll say...

Why is it when I saw the title of this thread I thought you would be the OP?

chrls

Forum Crew Member
Yeah... I'll say...

Why is it when I saw the title of this thread I thought you would be the OP?

Have I done my retarded air horn/wail combo with you were I just laugh the whole way to a call?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Have I done my retarded air horn/wail combo with you were we just laugh the whole way to a call?

Why yes... yes you have. Del Webb specifically.