AHLS

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
Amazing course!! Highly recommend it, truly though like most things if you don't use it you lose it.. I need to take the refresher...

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We have a BIG chemical plant in our first due, volunteer fire, no real close hazmat response. Chances are, if I was in shift, I'd be one of the first responders there if something went awry.

The plant has a team, but no medical other than first responders. It seems like it's worthwhile.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Chances are, if I was in shift, I'd be one of the first responders there if something went awry.

Are you guys hazmat trained to the level of, say, hazmat technicians?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
my ex gf went through it with the FD, and she said it was a great class. I don't think it's a HazMat class (as in get in your level A suit and go get the guy out), but discusses issues to look for. If it was in NC I would love to crash it... although Savannah is only 8 hours away ;-)

They do have an online BHLS class too https://www.ahls.org/ahls/ecs/courses/onlineCourses.html?ctid=224

DrParasite

The plant has a team, but no medical other than first responders. It seems like it's worthwhile.
Honestly, your best bet (and I am a HazMat Tech) would be to let the team bring them to you, handle all decon, and give you a very wet patient where you can work on making sure he doesn't die.

and always remember my rule when it comes to hazmat incidents:
If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Yeah. This what our involvement is, "I'll be over here. Bring him this way after you douse him. What? You can't hear me? I'll yell louder"

Also, we don't carry much in the way of HazMedic drugs. No 2pam, not enough atropine to be effective, no cyanokits.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, we don't carry much in the way of HazMedic drugs. No 2pam, not enough atropine to be effective, no cyanokits.

Do the facility responders carry anything that could be useful? I think many places allow DuoDote for BLS self protection, and others for self protection and patients, too

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
A lot of HazMat medicine is symptom management outside of the few obvious ones like cyanide or organophosphates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrParasite

every ambulance in NJ was given a 2pam/duodote after 9/11, in case there was a chemical attack. they have since expired, and are still on the trucks, because management won't spend the money on something that will probably just expire again.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yeah. This what our involvement is, "I'll be over here. Bring him this way after you douse him. What? You can't hear me? I'll yell louder"

Is there anyway that the plant could supply medications? Nearly all of our cyanokits in the county are cached at the mine, with a provision that they can be brought out for use anywhere in the county.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Is there anyway that the plant could supply medications? Nearly all of our cyanokits in the county are cached at the mine, with a provision that they can be brought out for use anywhere in the county.

All good questions. I think once I take this class I'll have a lot of questions and perhaps I can set up some meetings and maybe joint training with the HAZ guys at the plant.

We also have a fair amount of hazmat traveling through the county via rail and on 95. The more I read about this, the more I want to learn.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
While interesting, this sounds like a very low yield, high risk type of situation.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I personally use the Rule of Thumb: If my thumb can't cover it, I'm definitely too close.
I use rule of pinkie. If my pinkie can't cover it, I'm too close...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm glad I actually took the time to read this thread... for a moment I thought AHLS was "Advanced Hockey Life Support" as we all (should) know about the fights on ice, commonly known as Hockey.

I was once trained to Hazmat Awareness. I'm not planning on being trained in Hazmat Operations. That being said, given that you can be exposed to hazardous materials fairly easily, I'm considering finding and taking this course at some point in the next year or so. Might come in handy for being an ED RN.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
every ambulance in NJ was given a 2pam/duodote after 9/11, in case there was a chemical attack. they have since expired, and are still on the trucks, because management won't spend the money on something that will probably just expire again.
The county health departments were supposed to pick up a whole new cache....I know many didnt. But i also know that my county did

I took the class, it was interesting. It was also free and i was getting paid and was in overtime, so $30/hr i couldnt turn down the chance

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Im taking Hazmat awareness and ops next month. This looks like it would be a great addition to that but the closest class is 8 hours away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Finished day one today. It's interesting and being taught by toxicologists, a PharmD and a Doc from the poison control center.

Case studies were interesting and although it was all PowerPoint driven, there was enough interaction to keep it moving.

We finish up tomorrow. So far it gets the thumbs up.

Last edited: