Aeromedical Crashes/Near Miss Events

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Premium Member
Due to the nature of the work and the sad truth that these crashes are far too common, combined with related threads that are often spread out among the news, employment, lounge, and HEMS/AMT forums, I have created this thread for all HEMS/AMT adverse events. A single point for discussions related to these events seems to me, while morbid, a way to keep the conversation going to analyze, evaluate, and even critique these incidents. Perhaps someone will come up a solution.

This thread also serves to recognize our brothers and sisters in the industry whom we have lost and for those who have been maimed or disabled. May we always honor and remember them.

Last edited:
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Premium Member
Sadly, in the past few months I have found myself on the forum posting of crashes that seem to be monthly or even weekly.

Again today, a LifeMed prop plane (a King Air) crashed into the water shortly after takeoff in rural Alaska. The crew were rescued and transported ot a clinic. Their condition is unknown at this point. Information is still incoming.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
It seems with the more and more helicopters out there, there is always a company or a helicopter willing to make a flight; just keep calling someone will take it.
My PT job has a 2-4 hour transport to Level I, II and III hospitals and there are times that I am borderline ground transporting patients but I have no problems when a helicopter crew refuses to come get them.
We had 1 crew have the state police pick them up and met us on the freeway and rode in with us with a critical patient 2.5 hours into a 5 hour transport that was normally only 2 hours

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I still think the biggest problem in HEMS is that everywhere, “safety” has about as much value placed on it as a politician’s honesty, and few people actually think of the hazards associated with “getting a bird”.

GMCmedic

Forum Asst. Chief
Eh, I work for a company that has won several awards for safety, we havent had a fatal crash in 10 years. Everyone at the two bases Ive worked at take safety serious and the President is known to fly people back if he is not available to talk during their academy training, because he takes safety serious and thats what his speech is about.

We operate with a true 4 to go, 1 to say no.