AEMT Training in Michigan

TonyaL

Forum Crew Member
Hi all,

Is getting training as a AEMT worth it? I found 2 paramedic programs in Mi that allow test out for AEMT. Just wondering if its worth it?

Also are there any places in Mi that hire AEMTs?

zachogden

Forum Ride Along
Health link and detroit EMS are the only two places in the metro area I know of that allow AEMTs to practice full scope, not sure about the rest of the state

hogwiley

Forum Captain
AEMTs in most instances are just used as EMT Basics. There may be some agencies that use them on ALS ambulances, in which case I guess they get to start an IV now and then and maybe do a few other AEMT things.

Generally speaking though if you aren't a Paramedic and you are working ALS, its because you have a good amount of EMS experience and know the area well and are good at driving the ambulance. Other skills are generally less important. Having said that I have come across some AEMT's who have lot of ALS experience who are good at what they do and are a good partner for a paramedic to have if they cant have another medic.

I view an AEMT with zero road experience as basically being no more useful than an EMT with no experience though, and I imagine most agencies view them the same way, so the license itself is not particularly valuable.

OP
OP
T

TonyaL

Forum Crew Member
I've been working as a basic since 2006. Finally starting Paramedic school in June. In September if I wanted to test for the AEMT I can if I wanted. Just wasn't sure if it was worth it.

Anjel

Forum Angel
It's very limited as to who accepts in. I know a few fire departments up north do.

It may help getting a job in an ER. It was an option for me as well, but I didn't bother with it.