AEMT Help

sarmed

Forum Ride Along
hey emt gurus,

full apologies as this is going to be a long post here but am currently at a crossroads and need some help deciding on the best course of action.

long story short:

I started AEMT school back in May and am just now finishing up (taking the final on the 9th). The problem is that I don't believe I'm ready or will be able to pass National Registry. Several of my preceptors have stated I really need to re-think going forward and have stated that several skills are lacking such as IV's (don't even ask me what gauge to use in any given situation), IO's (I seriously ****ed up the humeral and tibial placement on a patient and almost got them killed), and overall things like general impression/pathologies.

Although my instructors say I know the material, it doesn't feel like that's truly the case. Most importantly of all I feel like I'm still thinking like a basic and not like an advanced (I honestly have no clue how to explain this at all).

Which brings me to the concern I have: even if I graduate should I even bother testing for National Registry? Last thing I want to do is get on the ambulance, thrown into a critical care situation and not know my stuff; at the same time I don't want my 3600 dollars and almost a year of work showing up for nothing. I'm debating switching programs but unsure of if I should (I know the school will be all up my *** for not testing as this hurts their numbers).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
If the negative feedback from your instructors is mostly about manual skills -- e.g., IVs, IOs -- that shouldn't stop you from testing. You'll get better at practical stuff as you gain more experience treating real patients.

I was never an AEMT, so I don't know how much difference there is in mindset between basic and advanced EMTs. Probably not much. Still, it's normal to need some time to adjust to new responsibilities. It took me a few months to start feeling comfortable as a medic. The key, I think, is to keep riding and reading and learning.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
If your skills and knowledge are that bad, then you know what NOT to do. How can you not know IV gauges??? All those things are monkey skills.

You are not ready nor able to attend a pt based on your writing.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
If your skills and knowledge are that bad, then you know what NOT to do. How can you not know IV gauges??? All those things are monkey skills.

You are not ready nor able to attend a pt based on your writing.
OUCH...shot down in flames or what!