AEMT challenge during medic school

wildrivermedic

Forum Crew Member
I'm about halfway through the didactic and clinical parts of paramedic school, doing really well in both, basically living the dream. There might be a delay in starting my internship for several good reasons (none of them fear-based). I'd like to start providing limited ALS coverage for my rural area sooner, and keep at least my IV skills up.

Has anyone been able to take the NREMT AEMT exam based on completing medic school? My program director and LEMSA are both supportive of the idea but don't know how to proceed. Waiting to hear from NREMT. There seems to be a loophole at the state level for current and former military whose training meets/exceedes AEMT training, but I am not that.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I attempted, and was shot down.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
To take the NREMT test you must have completion certificates from an official AEMT class. Being halfway through medic school does not count per NREMT.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Say you take and pass the AEMT and get a patch... But bananas happens and you do not pass your paramedic class/clinicals/internship... Now you're still an AEMT without having formal completion of an ILS/ALS course.... Uh oh... That's why they don't allow it.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I've never heard of this being an option, but it makes a lot of sense, and is intriguing...

What if the program said: We will offer Paramedic course completion for meeting objectives A+B+C in didactic, D+E+F in laboratory skills and G+H+I in clinical experience.
At the same time, we hold (and will offer) AEMT course completion for A+B in the classroom, and D+E in skills. Because you have met the objectives in the AEMT program (and more, but that's a side issue), we will allow you to test for AEMT (Cognitive and psychomotor exams).
For a program that offers both of these courses, what is the difference?

BoonDoc

Forum Crew Member
I heard that PERCOM will let you challenge their P1 course and go directly into the second half of their NREMT Paramedic course.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I've seen that Percom thing. But don't you have to pay for both modules? You can't just take the first one, can you?

Dasuriano

Forum Ride Along
You can. The first module fulfills the requirements for aemt education, then the second half becomes an aemt to medic bridge course. Or you can take the entire thing as one course.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
The problem I can see with a traditional school is that you usually don't take "Advanced Airway Part A", and then 7 months later "Advanced Airway Part B". If you are in a traditional school, I would assume you have gotten pretty good at half of the subjects, and not necessarily "half of the material". Also, keep studying and you'll be a paramedic soon! :) The AEMT won't really matter much then.