Aemt-cc

jvblo

Forum Ride Along
lately where i work there has been a lot of debates about the AEMT-CC. I have heard some good perspectives on both sides I feel like I am going to lean more against it. From what i hear they have less class time than a Basic class and clinicals a half as much as a medic. They still get to push all the drugs that a medic can. Just in the whole hours of classwork and clinical time it kinda scares me on what they can and will do with these drugs. how do you all feel about this program?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I have worked in Upstate New York where CC level EMTs are used.

New York State (outside of NYC) is weird, they have "Advanced EMT-Critical Care" and "Advanced EMT-Intermediate", I don't know the difference (never did figure it out) but seems strange.

No I don't like the idea.

Oh, and if these guys with a couple hundred hours can perform "critical care" it sure makes our Intensive Care Paramedics who have five to seven years of education look like crap :p

Veneficus

Forum Chief

New York State (outside of NYC) is weird, they have "Advanced EMT-Critical Care" and "Advanced EMT-Intermediate", I don't know the difference (never did figure it out) but seems strange.

Oh, and if these guys with a couple hundred hours can perform "critical care" it sure makes our Intensive Care Paramedics who have five to seven years of education look like crap :p

Well they are "Down under"

What was never specified. :rolleyes::p:)

spike91

Forum Lieutenant

I ride in upstate New York where I see them frequently, a lot of the guys I ride with are getting ready for the practical and written right now. From what I've seen, the class is very intense, at least for full time college students who do at least 6 hours a week of a shift with just our agency, plus ride time and clinicals and class.

I've ridden with them while they were ALS precepting, and I've been very impressed so far. I can't really speak to the differences in qualifications, and frankly I'm not informed enough to offer an educated opinion outside of my limited experience.

Also as far as I know, the only difference between a basic and an AEMT-I here in upstate NY is that I's can intubate and start IV lines with nothing more than fluids. I'm sure there's a few other things, but those are the major differences.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Yo, like you know, Brown is deeply disturbed

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/pdf/ccoappenc.pdf

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/emtcco.htm

Are yooz trying to tell me you can cover all the objectives in the two hundred pages of cirricula in ~120 hours of instruction (total didactic, appendix C)?

Those objectives look pretty decent but I'd probably need eight months to a year full time to teach that to the point where they understood and could apply it properly and not just repeat rote factiods or perform monkey skills upon command.

Damn New Yorkers :p

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
Yo, like you know, Brown is deeply disturbed

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/pdf/ccoappenc.pdf

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/emtcco.htm

Are yooz trying to tell me you can cover all the objectives in the two hundred pages of cirricula in ~120 hours of instruction (total didactic, appendix C)?

Those objectives look pretty decent but I'd probably need eight months to a year full time to teach that to the point where they understood and could apply it properly and not just repeat rote factiods or perform monkey skills upon command.

Damn New Yorkers :p

I'm in the Susquehanna region, the course here is just under a year.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
When I was in Intermediate school there was a guy who was a NY AEMT-CC, but he couldn't get reciprocity. He was the best in our class cause he had already taken it and worked for a few years.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm in the Susquehanna region, the course here is just under a year.

Yeah my buddy out on Lawn Guy Land said it took him just under a year.

Still, to have NYS DOH say (for example) six hours to teach A&P and one hour on diabetic emergencies is acceptale is pretty bad :unsure:

Man I miss New York, except NYC, that place is brain nsane :p

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah my buddy out on Lawn Guy Land said it took him just under a year.

Still, to have NYS DOH say (for example) six hours to teach A&P and one hour on diabetic emergencies is acceptale is pretty bad :unsure:

Man I miss New York, except NYC, that place is brain nsane :p

I've never been to the city, lack the desire. I'm up here for college from Florida, trying to get AWAY from the insane city stuff!

Anyways, I agree 6 hours for AP is a bit ridiculous

firecoins

IFT Puppet
NYC is the best. Your missing out.

the are 4 levels of EMT in NYS

EMT-B pretty much do first aid and CPR. They carry AEDs and recently some agencies carry glucometers and epipens.

EMT-Is can start IVs and intubate on top of that.

EMT-CCs can do ACLS on top of all that.

EMT-P is the paramedic level class. PALS and pediatic emergencies are done on top of that. a&p are outside classes taught at community colleges same as the nursing students take.

Yes more education is needed everywhere. We covered this already haven't we?

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I second that. NYC is the best for gaining experience. You won't make enough to get ahead, though, unless you work three jobs.

The EMT's get some good jobs, and need to exercise critical thinking. They need to know when to call ALS, and when not to. They'll be dispatched for and providing pt care for an ALS pt for 5-10 minutes alone if the medics are greater than 10 minutes away. They can also treat minor asthmatics with albuterol. You know, the typical ambulatory 30 y/o with maybe a little dyspnea who ran out of albuterol at 0130, needs a free Tx and ride to the ED for some more free meds.

The best is that all the buses are double medic, and only get ALS job types. No intox, abd pain, non critical CVA, sick jobs, minor injuries, EDP's (I like those jobs, though), or the minor allergic reaction. The medics actually get to use their training on a regular, frequent basis.

That's the one major negative I have with working down south. I'll run a lot of calls, but I may see an average of one pt in 20 that can legitimately benefit from ALS prehospital care. When I was in NY, I knew that if I worked a busy neighborhood, I would see a lot of good jobs. Down here, if I work a busy area, I have to get through a lot of BS calls to get to the occasional good one. I like my job regardless, but I enjoyed it to a much greater extent when I worked back in NY.

Edit, I forgot, the EMT-CC out on LI needs to call for mostly everything, I've heard. You're little more than eyes and ears for the med control doc unless you're a medic. Makes sense since the EMT-CC has a lower level of education. What baffles me is that in Virginia the EMT-I (equivalent in education to the EMT-CC) is considered the same as a medic. They're losing some skills, though, and my FD isn't hiring I's anymore.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Haha! That was funny!

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
That video is LMFAO funny, and many a true word is said in jest. I will definitely be using that, so :beerchug:

I was a CC for 6 years before becoming a medic, and I occasionally precept them when they are doing their field time. Like anywhere else, there is good and there is bad.

Basically, when people ask me what the difference between the two are, I usually say "about 1,000 hours" My CC class was 370 hours; my medic, about 1,300 (more if you include the optional classes for the NYC MAC review). The CC class teaches most of the hands-on ALS skills of a medic, but with far less theory behind it. It is more of a monkey-see-monkey-do way of practicing patient care. I will be the first to admit however, that there are many CCs out there who can run rings around some medics, and many others who have taken college level A&P, which is neither required for CC nor Medic in NY State.

As for protocols and standing orders - it really depends on where you are riding. Most basic and advanced airway, Primary ACLS, and basic pain management interventions will be under standing orders of the CC. Other more ambiguous medical-related stuff will probably need a chat with MC.

Your online presentation will play a huge part in where you will go from there. The words "monitor and transport" is well know to many CCs, due to sucky presentations. Part of their clinical rotations in my county includes sitting in with MC - it is embarrassing listening to some of the online consultations.

There are many dual RN / CC providers in my county, and of course, most of them are never a problem at all. At the lower end of the scale, there are quite a few buffs, who are dangerously ALS heavy and all they want to do it tube and stick someone. I am sorry, I have to include the volly fire buff here, who considers himself a FF first. Some of them represent everything wrong about the CC. All the gear and no idea.

I only ever saw my time as a CC as an introduction to ALS while I was unable to go to medic school, seeing I was in nursing school at the time. The CC is not the same as the paramedic, although many would like you to believe otherwise. I could spot the difference a mile off, even without the sleeve-full of patches. A lot of them still seem to have that sense of urgency to get to their treatment, before completing a more thorough history and physical exam. Still, there is only so much you can learn and retain with 230 hours in the classroom.

Wiki on EMT CC

Would I recommend the course? Sure, it's a good little intro. I don't know how long the CC will be around though, as I have heard talk of removing the designation all together if we ever go registry. These days, the medic practical is the NREMT-P practical, so you are signed off on NY State and Registry practicals in one sitting. That must tell us something.