Advice: comfortable EMS pants

MedicPatriot

Forum Crew Member
I'm back into the EMS field as a CCTRN. I can't seem to find any EMS pants that don't suck. They all feel like thick canvas and I just want something lightweight like scrubs or nylon hiking pants. I really can't stand it. Then either they are too baggy with a million pockets or fit like skinny jeans. ****ies are the worst, and the lightweight LAPD ones aren't a lit better.

I've considered scrub pants with belt loops but their "navy blue" is too light to match uniform rules. I don't like boots eithers. I did find some sketchers shoes that look like boots I might order.

Any suggestions for the above?

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
You could always dye the scrub pants to fit uniform rules.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm back into the EMS field as a CCTRN. I can't seem to find any EMS pants that don't suck. They all feel like thick canvas and I just want something lightweight like scrubs or nylon hiking pants. I really can't stand it. Then either they are too baggy with a million pockets or fit like skinny jeans. ****ies are the worst, and the lightweight LAPD ones aren't a lit better.

I've considered scrub pants with belt loops but their "navy blue" is too light to match uniform rules. I don't like boots eithers. I did find some sketchers shoes that look like boots I might order.

Did you mean LAPG? Those would be my suggestion as they are the ones i liked the best.

Danner makes some boots that fit and feel like tennis shoes.

OP
OP
M

MedicPatriot

Forum Crew Member
Did you mean LAPG? Those would be my suggestion as they are the ones i liked the best.

Danner makes some boots that fit and feel like tennis shoes.

yeah that's what I meant. One of them I ordered felt okay but the size was off. Maybe the exchange will be better. I just want that light cotton fiber feel.

I guess I'm picky lol

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

So you returned to the EMS field, and are complaining that you don't like the uniform requirements? You do realize that those thick canvas pants are there for protection and keeps you warm when you are out in the elements right? and those boots are to protect your toes, especially if you are not in the comfy hospital, or if you step in a water or snow.....

I have some truspec pants that I wear in the summer (when I am not wearing approved truspec shorts), and spiewak ems pants in the winter. If you aren't doing 911 calls, you can probably get away with black sneakers (i ditched my steel toed boots when I was working an IFT shift).

Scrubs might work if all you are doing is CCIFTs, but why not ask your employer what they will allow or recommend?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Those uncomfortable pants and boots aren't there because we think they're cool. This is the prehospital environment and it's a bit more dangerous than in-hospital.

If you don't like the uniform, I suggest you get another job.

OceanBossMan263

Forum Crew Member
I find these Galls brand pants to be comfortable and lighter than the 5.11 ones, especially in the summer

OP
OP
M

MedicPatriot

Forum Crew Member
Those uncomfortable pants and boots aren't there because we think they're cool. This is the prehospital environment and it's a bit more dangerous than in-hospital.

If you don't like the uniform, I suggest you get another job.

Hey, no need to be rude. I've been a paramedic in 911 for a long time too, it's not my first rodeo. They do make lighter pants, I've had them before when I did 911. Just can't find them right now. They also make low cut shoes that look like boots and have steel toe. Same protection, more comfort. I don't even wear boots backpacking in remote areas anymore. I was just acting for suggestions because I figured people on here would know since I have been out of the loop for a while.

Last edited:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I wear LAPG "Core Cargo Pants" at work every day. They are the best pants ever. Light cotton ripstop, don't fade, less than 20 bucks a pair. I don't like all the EMS straps and stuff, a pair of cargo pockets is all I need.