Add

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
I am not here to start a debate or discussion on whether or not attention deficit disorder is a real /valid thing or just a fancy way to say kids being kids and adults who are ritzy etc. Being that I have ADD, I find ems a great field as it is not a job where there is a lack of stimulation or boring things. I find my brain's working at a million mph rate to help me think of answers in class faster and to work quickly in clinicals and eventually in the field. That being said do any of you have ADD and how do you feel about it in relation to ems? And ems instructors, have you noticed anything about your students with ADD?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I was diagnosed with ADD as an adult and can see how EMS can be a profession that would attract those who have it. You are either doing nothing or scrambling which is exactly how folks with ADD tend to function. That said I think that being treated for it has probably made me a better provider.

Ironically it took me 3 tries and nearly 20 minutes to finish typing this post. Late afternoons are not good times for me.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Interesting. Perhaps that I why I like Monk- a character that uses a disadvantage to his advantage.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I think if every one of us were to be tested thoroughly 80% of us would be found to have some sort of deficit disorder in one thing or another. I happen to think we're VERY human beings and this work, because it demands so much, brings out the best and the worst in us.

Unfortunately there's neither the praise for the best or support to work through the worst.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I think if every one of us were to be tested thoroughly 80% of us would be found to have some sort of deficit disorder in one thing or another. I happen to think we're VERY human beings and this work, because it demands so much, brings out the best and the worst in us.

Unfortunately there's neither the praise for the best or support to work through the worst.

Truer words were never spoken.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have ADD and I think bbg and firetender hit the nail on the head so I'm not going to attempt to improve on it.

The biggest downfall I see is having to make a conscious effort to pay attention to the answer when I ask a question. I have a terrible habit of asking then not listening to the answer. With that said, I'm terrible about taking my meds. ADD meds and a slow day in a system that runs System Status Management does not make for a fun time sometimes.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Nomenclature makes syndromes. Yesterday's "You can't get Harvey to stand still" has become "Oh, Harvey has ADD. Poor Harvey". It generates support, but it also labels people and I think singles them out in hiring, dating, education.

I'm "dysartihmatic"*, can't get numbers down, had to take each level of algebra twice. Geometry, and statistics for health professionals? Passed each the first time. Word questions other than "two trains in the nigh"t deals, gimme more. IV rates...I carried a cheat card.

What do you call know-it-all-osis? :blush:Can I get a pill for it? My wife asked....

*Yes, it's actually called "dyscalculia", but if I'/m to be labelled, I'll make up my own.