Accreditation Question - California

Nic G

Forum Ride Along
Hey all,

I just have a few questions before I go through the certification course to become an EMT-B. My course would end with the NREMT exam, so ideally I will be on the national registry after completion of the course. Here's the situation, I will be doing this in Montana through Inter Mountain Medical Educators so I can work in Orange County, California later in the year.
What will I have to do to be able to work, beyond the NREMT? I have read in OCEMS Policy #410.00 that you need to get the educational course approved to be valid in California's eyes, so just wondering if any of you know about that. Also, what are the logistics of getting accredited in California and my county (Orange) after being accredited nationally. I know there is a live scan (background check) required.

Thank you!
Nic G.

OP
OP
N

Nic G

Forum Ride Along
@Jim37F thanks for the link! If I am correct in my understanding, within the OCEMS Online Licensing System I can become accredited in both CA and OC, and its only a online application and not some extra exams I have to take? If that's the case, that is relieving. But I suppose my question about the legitimacy of an out-of-state course for an California accreditation still stands. Is the NREMT enough?

MMohler

Forum Crew Member
Just applied for my first job in OC. With that being said the accreditation and state license are different I did not know this and was lucky to get my accreditation on time before my interview. The state license was $110 and the accreditation was $40. Stay on task and be sure to focus it is a lot of information in a short amount of time best of luck! Another word for the wise; take the NREMT ASAP do not wait! As far as the accredited courses I am not sure the Orange County(state) license requires you to put in a code to make sure the course is approved. Depending on what you want to ambulance/er you will need to get other things such as ambulance driver cert FEMA courses

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I know Orange County requires a special local accreditation course on top of whatever NREMT and EMT course requirements. It's like a 4 hour class on specific OC policies, procedures, protocols, etc that I believe can only be done in person in OC, but you may be able to do it online, but I'm not sure. If you do an EMT course in the county it's usually tacked on at the end, but can be done standalone (like I did my EMT course in LA County, had to take the special 4 hour course to get OC Accreditation). Note that LA County requires it's own 4 hour accreditation course....but other nearby counties (San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, Kern etc) do NOT require an additional local accreditation course (i.e. once you get your CA State card, even if through OC, you can then use that to apply to jobs in Riverside for example)

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
once you get your CA State card, even if through OC, you can then use that to apply to jobs in Riverside for example

All you need for Riverside Co. is your state EMT card. We have no special county card. San Bernardino Co. is the same as REMS (Riverside co.) where all you need to work is your CA EMT card. I can't speak with certainty on SD, Ventura, and Kern Co. although I'm sure a Kern Co Cult member will pop up and try to convert you to Hall ambulance. I can say that us people in REMS and ICEMA (SBCo) try to not complicate things like LACo and OC, we keep it simple here with EMT cards.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm sure a Kern Co Cult member will pop up and try to convert you to Hall ambulance.
Eh, and I have zero idea what EMT's need for any county. I was able to show ICEMA my state card, and still work in LA as a basic...before NREMT changed things though.

IIRC, it was something like $40, plus no ridiculous LA County expanded scope EMT crap; yes, and yes.

Last edited:

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
LA expanded scope was around $15 nothing crazy
It's not the price, it's the county's "EMS" model. Plus, if you work for one of the company's that do transports in LA city, county, and Orange County you have to get accredited in both on top of that LA City driving card crud.

The reputable company's pay for them, but what a PITA/ waste of time when having to recertify. I don't miss having to get my LA City card renewed one bit.

Last edited:

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey all,

I just have a few questions before I go through the certification course to become an EMT-B. My course would end with the NREMT exam, so ideally I will be on the national registry after completion of the course. Here's the situation, I will be doing this in Montana through Inter Mountain Medical Educators so I can work in Orange County, California later in the year.
What will I have to do to be able to work, beyond the NREMT? I have read in OCEMS Policy #410.00 that you need to get the educational course approved to be valid in California's eyes, so just wondering if any of you know about that. Also, what are the logistics of getting accredited in California and my county (Orange) after being accredited nationally. I know there is a live scan (background check) required.

Thank you!
Nic G.
This is an easy one. Once you have yor nremt, you submit to the state than you have to go through an OC accreditation class. Alot of the ROP programs host them once a month. You can get the list on the OC ems website.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk