Accelerated A&P I ?

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
Learned from my instructors that the only real pre-requist for the Paramedic Program are Emt-b cert, & A&P I to get started. That A&P II also has to be taken at some point to. All the other classes are for the Degree Program. Which can be skipped & person can go straigth for the Paramedic Classess.

Anyway A&P I has pre-requist which I will get out the by Summer time. However, that means I have to take an accelerated A&P I class. If I pass the summer class I can start the Paramedic program in the fall. This January seemed like a good time to start studying for A&P I for this summer. I take skills practicals for state in January. NERMT, & State cert probable in Febuary.

Doese this sound reasonable? or should I start learning stuff for A&P before January?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
If Brown comes across one more post about barely homeostasasing Parathinktheyare's, Parathinktheyarewannabee's or Medicfighters who want to cut corners and take accelerated classes, learn jack and fake thier way thru ambulance praxis and eventually kill somebody he is goin to have some sort of cellular annoix event and a massive stroke.

OP
OP
Z

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
If Brown comes across one more post about barely homeostasasing Parathinktheyare's, Parathinktheyarewannabee's or Medicfighters who want to cut corners and take accelerated classes, learn jack and fake thier way thru ambulance praxis and eventually kill somebody he is goin to have some sort of cellular annoix event and a massive stroke.

I`m talking about a College class not a medic class. Its the same number of class sessions. Its just accelerated do to there not being enough weeks in the summer to make a full semester. 16 weeks compressed into 10 to 12 weeks.

There about 18 months of Medic Class after you obtain Emt-b. You have to successfully pass the class before they will sign off on your testing. Hardly an accelerated Medic Class.

Mr. Brown please take 2 to 4 baby aspirin, & call a medicfighter in the morning if the pain persists ;)

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
A&P I was the more difficult of the two anatomy sections for me. I'm currently teaching AP Anatomy and Physiology to high school students and it's stretching me slightly to remember all of the histology that's involved in the early chapters of most anatomy curriculums. I'm happy for the refresher, just saying that the learning curve is steep.

If you're working full time and have any other obligations outside of class (family, kids, a puppy) you will find that in order to study well enough to remember everything, you're going to be neglecting those other obligations. And when you get to the part of paramedic class where you need to remember that physiology in order to correctly incorporate the pathophysiology into your brain, you'll be faking it slightly.

I don't like taking those 4-credit sciences with labs over the summer, but that's just me.

Good luck to ya! If it were me, I'd try and get into a class in January.

OP
OP
Z

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
I have to take Introduction to College Writting II before I can take A&P. This semester I was already sitting at 12.5 Credits with Emt-b, & Fundementals of Algebra.

Working full-time, & class already dong the ignore other obligation thing.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I have to take Introduction to College Writting II before I can take A&P. This semester I was already sitting at 12.5 Credits with Emt-b, & Fundementals of Algebra.

Working full-time, & class already dong the ignore other obligation thing.

A&P will be significantly more difficult that EMT-B and Algebra combined, and depending on your workload for your writing class, the three classes together might easily equal the workload for A&P only. Seriously. It's a stout class that requires your full attention in order to get maximum benefit from it.

Summer sections of A&P at our community colleges have 5 hour lecture and 4 hour labs each week. That means that you're on pace to cover more than a chapter per week, a whole system in one class or less.

It's work. I'd take it during a regular semester, but that's just me. I've know plenty of people who've taken sciences over the summer, but they always had their books on them and were studying every spare minute.

RUGBY66X

Forum Probie
I found A&P I to be the easier of the two. Im taking my paramedic class at one school and A&PII at a college as a nursing pre-req and the first one was way easier for me. I think it can definitely be done in the summer semester because it isn't really concept based mostly identifying different body parts and learning some new terms here and there for body parts and locations. I think when you get into A&P II when you go more in depth into the systems that it becomes more difficult but that could also be because my mind is also busy with my medic class.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You can do it...it is a 10 week course for crying out loud. Yes you will be busy and it will take a lot of work but it is easily doable.

If you want to discuss compressed courses...summer of 2008 I had 5 weeks of leave which I got increased to 6 by begging. I needed 6 weeks cause the college was offering AnP 1 with lab in a compressed 6- SIX week format!!

Class was M-F 4 hours worth.

But wait, it gets better. They also had AnP II with lab right before that class started It too was in compressed 6 week format M-F for 4 hours.

Guess what crazy AK did cause he needed pre requisites for his next life journey. I met with the professors, explained my time situation and my need for the courses, and they both approved me to take the courses in the same semester.

It kicked my *** because I was in class for 40 hours a week but you also have to factor in study time at home. I slept very little, saw little of my family even though I was on "vacation" and I got the classes done!

I passed AnP I with an A and AnP II with a B and surprised the heck out of everyone including myself.

So in short, YES you can do this ONE class of a "compressed" TEN weeks if you want to!

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
You can do it...it is a 10 week course for crying out loud. Yes you will be busy and it will take a lot of work but it is easily doable.

If you want to discuss compressed courses...summer of 2008 I had 5 weeks of leave which I got increased to 6 by begging. I needed 6 weeks cause the college was offering AnP 1 with lab in a compressed 6- SIX week format!!

Class was M-F 4 hours worth.

But wait, it gets better. They also had AnP II with lab right before that class started It too was in compressed 6 week format M-F for 4 hours.

Guess what crazy AK did cause he needed pre requisites for his next life journey. I met with the professors, explained my time situation and my need for the courses, and they both approved me to take the courses in the same semester.

It kicked my *** because I was in class for 40 hours a week but you also have to factor in study time at home. I slept very little, saw little of my family even though I was on "vacation" and I got the classes done!

I passed AnP I with an A and AnP II with a B and surprised the heck out of everyone including myself.

So in short, YES you can do this ONE class of a "compressed" TEN weeks if you want to!

You reminded me that our compressed summer session is 7 weeks, so that's 27 fewer hours of class time than this is.

Still, if EMT and Survey of Algebra counts as tough, I'm wondering how much is going to stick around from a compressed A&P class.

OP
OP
Z

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
As of right now the Paramedic program only allows new students in the fall. This could change, but if I miss it now there a good chance I`d have to wait till fall of 2012.

Thats why I thought about buying an A&P text book in January & studying it an hour a day till the summer gets here.

Up to this point the Algebra class hasn`t consumed any of my time outside of class. The only thing I`ve been studying is my Emt-b stuff to be honest.

terrible one

Always wandering
Why is it a big deal to start next fall and not the one after? It's 2 years not 10.
I can understand ones urgency to want to start paramedic class but by waiting another year your really not missing out that much. Relax.
I'm assuming you are in your younger years, take the time to enjoy life. Why are you in such a hurry to have no social life? You have plenty of time

OP
OP
Z

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
I`m not that young plus married & I have a son. Its not being in a hurry just getting things done in an orderly fashion in a reasonable amout of time.