Abcde?

Legal Eagle

Forum Probie
Have you guys seen ABCDE acronym for a primary assessment?
Can someone explain this in depth to me?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Have you guys seen ABCDE acronym for a primary assessment?
Can someone explain this in depth to me?

You will typically see this in PHTLS.

Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Disability, Expose

ABC is pretty self explanatory.

D is disabilities caused by the injury such as inability to move an arm, etc. (In some assessments it can also mean defibrillation)

E is for Expose. Exposing the patient to reveal injuries that are potentially hidden by the clothes. This would be stripping them.

OP
OP
L

Legal Eagle

Forum Probie
Ok.. I understand the expose part, but why the disabilities part in the primary survey? I thought the primary was for life threatening issues, wouldn't a disabled arm be found in the secondary survey(head to toe)?
MedicRob could you please go into more detail about the disabilities part?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok.. I understand the expose part, but why the disabilities part in the primary survey? I thought the primary was for life threatening issues, wouldn't a disabled arm be found in the secondary survey(head to toe)?
MedicRob could you please go into more detail about the disabilities part?

Well, neurological deterioration is a perfect example. If a patient has a GCS of < 15, this is a concern. You should reassess your patient several times, this isn't a one time thing.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Assessment for neurological disabilities should be done whenever a patient is not fully alert or oriented, and should include an assessment of CSMs/PMS, a stroke assessment (FAST/MASS/CpSC), etc.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
The disability part of the primary survey is looking at neurological function and any impairments to that function.

Generally we are looking for (if appropriate) AVPU, GCS, stroke score, gross motor function and symmetry in an attempt to exclude brain or spinal cord injury or muscular problem.

For example Nana who is sitting at home drinking a cup of tea when we arrive complaining of feeling feverish, sweaty, unwell and pain upon passing urine probably has a UTI and as such is not the ideal candidate for a full neuro exam and a trip to hospital for a CT scan. Nana may look at you funny when you ask her what colour the sky in Cincinnati is or to squeeze your hands. She will slap you with her walker and say "son I do not know you that well"

Some bloke who has been smacked upside the head with a bit of 4x2 or Nana who is sitting at home and spilled her cup of tea all down herself but does not notice because she is talking to the magic pixies on the wall on the other hand, are perfect candidates for a neurological workup.

OP
OP
L

Legal Eagle

Forum Probie
Ahhhhh, so it's assessing the patient's neurological function.
I start my EMT-B later this month so I'll probably be asking lots of questions.
Thanks for the input it was very helpfull.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Ahhhhh, so it's assessing the patient's neurological function.
I start my EMT-B later this month so I'll probably be asking lots of questions.
Thanks for the input it was very helpfull.

Sort of, you are looking for primary insult to neurologic function such brain injury, stroke, decreased level of consciousness (and probable reason) as well as secondary impairment such as Rob mentioned, inability to move your leg because its at a right angle.

Brown is sure whatever definition your textbook has will differ from that provided by Brown

Veneficus

Forum Chief
You will typically see this in PHTLS.

Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Disability, Expose

ABC is pretty self explanatory.

D is disabilities caused by the injury such as inability to move an arm, etc. (In some assessments it can also mean defibrillation)

E is for Expose. Exposing the patient to reveal injuries that are potentially hidden by the clothes. This would be stripping them.

E is also sometimes used for "exposure" to the elements, etc.

and don't forget F and G

(everyone knows what the "F" word is) :)

and G is for "gadgets."

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't forget to keep your patient warm too during exposure, you would be amazed at the wonders of the high tech ambo blanket :D

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Scout

Para-Noid
A Airway
B Breathing/Major chest problems
C Circ/ Major hemorrhage
D Disability, AVPU/GCS Etc, Eyes
E Expose and Examine ( looking for life threatening injuries.)

F ****ing
G Glucose

zmedic

Forum Captain
"F" was fluid (blood/saline/plasma etc) and finger (rectal)

though rectal is falling out of favor in trauma assessment as being useless in most cases.

wlgorman

Forum Ride Along
here is how I was taught.

CC-Chief Complaint
C-C-Spine (if trauma suspected)
A-Airway
B-Breathing
C-Circulation
D-Neurological Deficits
E-Exposures
-Is patient exposed to dangerous elements? Can you give the patient
the needed/appropriate care in the position/environment they are in?

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
We were offered a number of ideas when it came to primary surveys.

Officially, the service I work for endorses.

Dangers
Response
Airway
Breathing
Circulation
Defibrillation
Haemorrhage

Its pretty outdated, in that its basically a first aid approach, but I'm sure there are some massively complex (and expensive) issues that surround formally changing something as fundamental as a 1 survey and there's no reason anyone who wants to can't tweak it a little.

At uni we learned ABCDE (disability and exposure being the D and E). I added to it in developing my approach based on ideas I came across or trouble I was having.

-Scene assessment and safety - dangers, BSI, sitreps, activation of triage/transport officer roles in MCI.
-Airway
-Breathing
-Circulation
-Disability (GCS)
-Exposure (ambient temp, expose pt),
-Egress (this I added because there were a number of things you might find in ABCDE that would mean need Intensive Care backup wicky-tick, so I think of egress as meaning escaping to IC or hospital).
-Family & friends (this reminded me in scenarios to ask bystanders and family for information and has been a useful reminder in real life to turn my thoughts to other sources of information about unconscious pts after running the ABCs).
-Glucose (I was often neglecting to do BSLs in unconscious pts, early on at uni).
-Haemorrhage (its really part of circulation, but I added it on as a reminder to verbalize looking for haemorrhage in scenarios).

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I just have to know

We were offered a number of ideas when it came to primary surveys.

Officially, the service I work for endorses.

Dangers
Response
Airway
Breathing
Circulation
Defibrillation
Haemorrhage

If you defib somebody that is hemorrhaging does it cause the blood to squirt out higher?