A&O X(insert number here)

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
When I was in Basic school in Chicago we had A&O x1, 2 and 3. 3 was oriented to person, place and time; 2 was oriented to person and place; 1 as only to person.

I have heard some folks talk about A&O x4. What does it mean?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
X4 is "oriented to event" meaning do they know why we were called there and what happened.

Helps with short term retrograde amnesia or possible loss of conciousness.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Oriented to person, place, time, and event. In other words, they can tell you what happened to them.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Very interesting. I can see it's use. I wonder why it wasn't in my old Basic textbook, or my Intermediate textbook.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've been taught x4 since I was in basic. It seems to be a prehospital thing as well, as I've had nurses ask me when I was teching what the 4th A&O was

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. They basically mean the same thing - someone AOx3 or 4 is conscious and reasonably "with it."

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
To an extent yes, but you should really try for the x4 as it helps that much more with possible neurolguc injuries. I've seen people not know the day, date, time, or month and still be totally oriented and neurogically intact.

Now, if they claim it's 1999....

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
When I was in Basic school in Chicago we had A&O x1, 2 and 3. 3 was oriented to person, place and time; 2 was oriented to person and place; 1 as only to person.

I have heard some folks talk about A&O x4. What does it mean?

For us, CAOx4= conscious, alert, and oriented to person, place, time, and event.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
We were taught x4 in school, but SD county only recognizes x3. As to why, I don't quite understand.

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
I've used the terminology myself, but in hindsight I don't think it's that helpful.

What does A+Ox1/2/3 mean when you say it? With any luck the person you say it to will still ask you to define.

It's like saying GCS12 - you still have to break it down into V, M & E scores.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Yea, I was taught A&Ox4. I think it is just more detailed and makes for a slightly better assessment.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
<---------- Whats in a name. :)

I was taught if it wasnt already obvious:

Conscious and Alert, oriented to person, place and time.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Do any of you do the method of saying three things and quizzing them on it later? One of my instructors will say three things... "penny", "balloon" and "firetruck" and then five minutes later ask the same thing. Is this in addition to CAOx4 or instead of?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
.... wait... you mean its not ??!?!?!?!??:unsure:

You must have been at one awesome party if you just now notice a few years have passed ;)

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Is the GCS not as popular in America?

I seems like its rarely mentioned in scenarios presented here.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Is the GCS not as popular in America?

I seems like its rarely mentioned in scenarios presented here.

I've always been taught you document a GCS for everyone as well. But GCS is universal