1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

A man collapsed with ‘Do Not Resuscitate’ tattooed on his chest. Doctors didn’t know what to do.

Discussion in 'EMS-Related News' started by MMiz, Dec 1, 2017.

1. MMiz

MMiz I put the M in EMTLife Community Leader

2. Remi

Remi Forum Deputy Chief Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Saw this earlier somewhere else. Pretty interesting.

3. elshion

elshion Forum Probie

Education:
    EMT
    Compress and inflate while someone else calls up your state office to confirm existance/absence of a DNR. You can always terminate, but once you stop you have that very miniscule window to start up again

4. DrParasite

DrParasite The fire extinguisher is not just for show

It's easier to apologize for saving someone's life vs explaining why you let someone die who didn't want to.

But cases like this are why there are clear reasons what clear forms are needed for DNRs:

5. Remi

Remi Forum Deputy Chief Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Generally, but not always. As usual, the devil is in the details.

What made this situation difficult wasn’t the legalities - everyone knows that a DNR tattoo is not a legal document - it was the fact that given the overall picture, it seemed likely that the tattoo was an accurate reflection of the patient’s wishes. Patient’s wishes should be honored whenever possible.

6. Jim37F

Jim37F Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    EMT
    Isn't a "DNR tattoo" pretty much THE go to hypothetical whenever the topic comes up? And hasn't the answer pretty much always been "NO....a tattoo is not a legal document, you don't know whether it's ironic or a joke or serious, you can't honor the tattoo" Plus I've been told that even when presented with the proper legal form, if it's improperly filled out I can't honor it, or if there's ever any doubt, start at least BLS measures...now granted when you're an MD a lot of bucks stop with you and you can't just call medical control everytime something, not in a rigid protocol comes up, but still......

7. ThadeusJ

ThadeusJ Forum Lieutenant

Interesting that the tattoo included a copy of his signature as well (blanked out in the attached pic). Personally, I have a tattoo on my vocal chords that reads, "If you can read this you are too close".