A.M.A. Recognizes Obesity as a Disease

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

terrible one

Always wandering
And which of those two outcomes do we think that the AMA is most interested in achieving?

Just another way the American public doesn't have to take responsibility for their own actions, now we can blame it on someone else for being overweight. Not surprised.

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
Who cares who's problem it is? Because in truth it's a problem that affects ALL of us. If people aren't taking care of it when they should know that it's their own responsibility maybe this route will help. What's your solution to obesity, if not increased education and interaction with PCPs? I'm not saying that the obese demographic is going to follow through with the regimens suggested by their PCP, but if the providers are able to be reimbursed for visits centering around attempting to resolve the weight issue then I think it's a great attempt at solving the problem.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
So.... VD, Alcoholism, and obesity are now diseases you can get yelled at or having?

terrible one

Always wandering
Who cares who's problem it is? Because in truth it's a problem that affects ALL of us. If people aren't taking care of it when they should know that it's their own responsibility maybe this route will help. What's your solution to obesity, if not increased education and interaction with PCPs? I'm not saying that the obese demographic is going to follow through with the regimens suggested by their PCP, but if the providers are able to be reimbursed for visits centering around attempting to resolve the weight issue then I think it's a great attempt at solving the problem.

So your implying this is a solution to the obesity epidemic?

And it matters whose fault it is so that we can address the underlying problem. The American public and health insurers aren't interested in fixing the real problems, they want a quick fix i.e. lap band, diet pills etc. but a lifestyle change is not one of them because their is no profit.
One of the biggest (no pun intended) problems with obesity in the United States begins with the food we eat and the companies manufacturing it. No, not growing or farming but manufacturing.
How about removing the government subsidization of corn? Which is placed into 80% or more of the foods we eat along with the feed that animals eat. Why not limit the power of the corrupt USDA and their lobbyists. How about stopping the monopoly of Monsanto soybeans? Etc....
Do you believe the AMA is truly interested in correcting the obesity problem, or just increasing their funding from insurers as previously mentioned?
And yes there are hundreds or thousands of other reasons why someone may be obese, some of which are self inflicted others are not. There is no denying, however, the direct correlation between the rise of the United States meat processing plants and the obesity rate of Americans.

So.... VD, Alcoholism, and obesity are now diseases you can get yelled at or having?

I didn't realizing anyone was yelling here?

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
So your implying this is a solution to the obesity epidemic?

And it matters whose fault it is so that we can address the underlying problem. The American public and health insurers aren't interested in fixing the real problems, they want a quick fix i.e. lap band, diet pills etc. but a lifestyle change is not one of them because their is no profit.
One of the biggest (no pun intended) problems with obesity in the United States begins with the food we eat and the companies manufacturing it. No, not growing or farming but manufacturing.
How about removing the government subsidization of corn? Which is placed into 80% or more of the foods we eat along with the feed that animals eat. Why not limit the power of the corrupt USDA and their lobbyists. How about stopping the monopoly of Monsanto soybeans? Etc....
Do you believe the AMA is truly interested in correcting the obesity problem, or just increasing their funding from insurers as previously mentioned?
And yes there are hundreds or thousands of other reasons why someone may be obese, some of which are self inflicted others are not. There is no denying, however, the direct correlation between the rise of the United States meat processing plants and the obesity rate of Americans.

I can DEFINITELY agree with you about society's oral intake being a huge issue, but along with the quality of what we eat I see quantity being a giant issue as well, but both of these problems can be addressed via education, and if not education then I see no huge problem with going the pharmaceutical route. Face it, there are going to be people who will NOT EVER comply with the "right" things, hell I'm sure every day all of us see the chronic hypertensives/CHFers/diabetics off their med regimen even though it's their lives on the line long term.

Is the "quick fix" the ideal answer? Nope. But is it AN answer until we can get a shift in society to a better outlook? Perhaps. I'd love to be all idealistic and believe that we can truly change people's minds, but after more than a decade of patient care I could be just a little on the jaded side...

And on a side note, you stop subsidizing that corn you're gonna have a lot of starving farmers out there. And hell yeah Down With Monsanto! (See? We agree on stuff haha)