A little annoyed w/ NREMT practices

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
I'm studying and practicing my NREMTs using the LC since they wrote my book. There are questions on there that are our of our SOP in our state and subsequently not taught. I don't know quite how to deal with these- blind guess?

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
What they said.

And I'm pretty sure NREMT annoys everyone to some degree.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

I have been looking them up, but its new information that contradicts what we've been taught and what we're told we need to do. It just confused me. I have a really hard time with standardized tests. :p

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
With the NREMT exams, you just have to understand that NREMT is it's own world. Sometime that world can clash with reality and new(er) information and practices that occur in the real world. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, just that they need to test everyone the same way so they created their own "world" for testing purposes. For lack of a better way to say it, "it just is."

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

I totally agree, and I know that different states have different SOPs. All we can do is our best, right?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Actually, the NREMT tests to the standards of the DOT EMT curriculum, which may be quantified as the candidate meeting the minimum standards for measured competency.

Each state is actually in its own little world, allowing or disallowing skills or medications for different levels of practice. That's why there should be one national standard for each level of EMS certification.

An EMT class that teaches "this is what they tell you in the book, but this is how we do it in real life" is doing a disservice to the students. Teach the DOT standard curriculum and any add-ons should be taught as a secondary module.