75 year old female- "Acting Strange"

musicislife

Forum Crew Member
Initial Assessment: Responds to verbal stimuli. Alert and Oriented times 0 (no idea who she is, what month it is, and where she is.) Airway clear. Breathing Clear. Pluse is weak and thready. Notice a fruity breath odor. Stay and play here.

No family to collect SAMPLE

Administer glucose

Check Vitals: 110/76, HR: 80 Respiration: 15 breaths/min

Take her out on the Stair Chair

Check vitals every 10min an monitor any changes in responsiveness en route

What would You do in this fictitious scenario?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Not give glucose.

Also, if she is so out of it, who called 911?

Edit: And you don't need a family to collect a sample history. Look around. Meds are usually in the kitchen or bathroom. Check the fridge for insulin or a vial or life. Home glucose and BP monitors have memory functions you can use to see how often they are used and what the numbers are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
Not give glucose without knowing what her blood sugar level was. What you were possibly smelling were ketones, and most likely she is in some form of hyperglycemia.

Or she has been drinking something fruity and alcoholic.

My treatment probably wouldn't differ too much, but I'd like to know where I find this person. Park bench? House? Nursing home? Sidewalk?

See if she has any medical alert tags, and check her purse, but most likely she'll get the standard IV, monitor, blood sugar level checked and go from there.

Why did you give glucose?

OP
OP
M

musicislife

Forum Crew Member
yea i just re read the book..says fruity breath is a sign of Diabetic Coma not Insulin Shock..is that why you wouldn't give glucose?

she is in the supermarket. She was repeating how she wanted a cookie, and stumbling. Her 5 yr old grandson called 911.

Aidey

Diabetic coma and insulin shock? What on earth book are you reading?

Someone please tell me those are still not standard terms used in textbooks today?

OP
OP
M

musicislife

Forum Crew Member
I am a first responder. They have to dumb stuff down in that book. Thanks to a previous post i know know hyperglycemia is high blood glucose and hypoglycemia is low blood glucose.

RustyShackleford

Forum Crew Member
I know you are attempting to learn but the fact that you explained that you just learned what hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia are indicates that you are quite new at this....I mean this in the nicest way possible, but might I suggest that before writing out fictitious scenarios maybe get yourself a good patho book of some kind or maybe even start learning simple ecg skills that will be more useful in the future rather than scenarios.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I read Brady's MFR text. It is a little confusing, but not "dumbed down", it is a lower level of medical response and designed to be that way. Share your reasoning behind your treatment.

5 y/o called 911? ;)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
as a first responder why "stay and play"

what are you going to do that you cant do en route to definitive care or intercept?

Sasha

Forum Chief
By stay and play i mean he isnt a rapid transport

AMS is something i would hurry along.

But yeah don't give oral glucose if you're smelling ketones.

Ketones means the body is using fat for energy instead of sugar. Don't add more sugar.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
AMS is something i would hurry along.

This.

I've seen a few DKA cases now and not once have I smelled ketones. They all smelled too bad and the glucometers where I work have a ketone reading so I'm not going out of my way to smell their breath. Plus prehospitally there isn't anything to do differently if it's HHNK vs. DKA.

Aidey

One of the ED docs told me that not everyone can smell ketones, kind of like cyanide.

Achilles

Forum Moron
If she was in the supermarket, why'd you take her out in a stair chair?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
one of my old partners could not smell acetone/ketones

Maybe that's my problem.

To go farther on stay and play in this scenario, I'm not doing anything in the store. Get a quick room air Sp02, toss her on some Os if it's appropriate, correct an airway issue if I have to with a basic airway adjunct then move to the truck and do everything in there. Partner does the line, hangs a bag and gets a sugar for me while I do a 12-lead then move along to the hospital routine unless it's a hypoglycemic issue that I can fix on the spot.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
One of the ED docs told me that not everyone can smell ketones, kind of like cyanide.

I cannot smell ketones.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
I can smell malaena. I wish I couldn't.