5th and 6th degree burns?

CPRinProgress

Forum Lieutenant
I had always thought there were the only 4 degrees of burns. Recently though, I have seen what I thought were credible sources talking about fifth and sixth degree burns. Are these real or are they a misnomer. In my EMT book it only had 4.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
In all of our books the burns aren't even labeled 1st, 2nd, and 3rd anymore. They are superficial, partial thickness, and full thickness. Nothing was mentioned at all about 4-6th degree burns.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
5th and 6th degree burns are simply academic titles and discovered during autopsy. They're not survivable.

OP
OP
C

CPRinProgress

Forum Lieutenant
OK. But they do exist that was what I was wondering. Thanks. Our books give superficial and first, partial thickness and second, and full thickness and third as synonymous. The forth degree burn is described as a burn affecting muscle and bone. But no mention of 5th and 6th.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
We dont use the 1/2/3 designation anymore

Its Superficial, partial thickness and full thickness. More accurately describes the nature of the injury

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We dont use the 1/2/3 designation anymore

Its Superficial, partial thickness and full thickness. More accurately describes the nature of the injury

Correct, but pathologists use multiple levels of burn degree when performing a postmortem exam. The OP just asked if this was true. But I agree that any use of "degree of burns" is not applicable for a prehospital provider.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Correct, but pathologists use multiple levels of burn degree when performing a postmortem exam. The OP just asked if this was true. But I agree that any use of "degree of burns" is not applicable for a prehospital provider.

I wonder what degree cremation would be desigated as?