36YOM - Chest pain

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Case taken from another crew, presented for your opinion on the ECG particularly in regards to the elevation in II.

Prehospital ECG

Hospital ECG approx 40 mins later.

36 YOM

3-4 day hx of cellulitis for which the pt is taking a course of abx. Nil other medical hx.

Increased stress in recent weeks.

Sudden onset of heart burn type pain, nausea, pallor and diaphoresis. Had similar pain last night which self resolved.

HR 95, BP 149/96, SpO2 98% RA. Other obs apparently "normal".

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Interesting EKG. A subacute PE would be on my Ddx.

On my phone it looks like a prominent R wave in lead I with some STE vs Early repolarization and inverted P&T waves in lead III. Also developing Q waves in I&aVL

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I do see S1 Q3T3, which is indicative of right ventricular strain. Curious as to the follow up.

Any old EKG for the hospital to compare?

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I do see S1 Q3T3, which is indicative of right ventricular strain. Curious as to the follow up.

Any old EKG for the hospital to compare?

You see s1q3t3? Thats news to me.

No old ECGs.

Will post followup when I get back to the hospital.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
You see s1q3t3? Thats news to me.

No old ECGs.

Will post followup when I get back to the hospital.

Let me take back S1. No S waves in either EKG, so I don't really know what I was looking at earlier. I do see small Q waves and inverted Ts in III though. 2/3 of a sign rounds up to a whole sign right?

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Let me take back S1. No S waves in either EKG, so I don't really know what I was looking at earlier. I do see small Q waves and inverted Ts in III though. 2/3 of a sign rounds up to a whole sign right?

Again, news to me. What are you calling a Q wave?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I've got nothing. Upon further evaluation, I don't know how I originally saw S or Q waves in either EKG.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I see Q waves in I and AvL? They are borderline for being pathological in EKG #1

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone have an opinion on lead II?

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant
Case taken from another crew, presented for your opinion on the ECG particularly in regards to the elevation in II.

Prehospital ECG

Hospital ECG approx 40 mins later.

36 YOM

3-4 day hx of cellulitis for which the pt is taking a course of abx. Nil other medical hx.

Increased stress in recent weeks.

Sudden onset of heart burn type pain, nausea, pallor and diaphoresis. Had similar pain last night which self resolved.

HR 95, BP 149/96, SpO2 98% RA. Other obs apparently "normal".

Look at your leads in prehospital EKG I and AVL along with recip changes in inferior leads

awapsn.png

Ill also leave this here

19muyp.png

How long is duration of pain until you arrived?
History of HTN?
Smoker?
Family HX for CAD/MI?

What you give meds wise?

Last edited by a moderator:

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
If there was an LA-LL swap, this ECG would look less LWMI and more pericarditis (it is odd that II and V6 look alike and I and V6 do not; but it persists from prehospital to inhospital, so it was likely obtained correctly).

Either way III is really suspicious in light of the elevation present.

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Look at your leads in prehospital EKG I and AVL along with recip changes in inferior leads

How long is duration of pain until you arrived?
History of HTN?
Smoker?
Family HX for CAD/MI?

What you give meds wise?

Not sure about the extra hx. I wasn't at the job.

Aspirin..obviously. Pain free after 2 x 300mcg nitro.

If there was an LA-LL swap, this ECG would look less LWMI and more pericarditis (it is odd that II and V6 look alike and I and V6 do not; but it persists from prehospital to inhospital, so it was likely obtained correctly).

Either way III is really suspicious in light of the elevation present.

The bloke who did it is pretty quick between the wickets and less likely not to notice such an error. The hospital does a completely different ECG, ie replacing the electrodes we place. So, as you say, unlikely.

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
So... sort of a disappointing follow up. Might be able to follow up again in coming days assuming anyone on the unit remembers him.

The attending paramedic called a code STEMI, but O/A at the hospital there was some discussion about a reduction in the ST elevation and they didn't send him straight to the cath lab. Initially they were going with coronary artery spasm, but they did cath him at some stage in his ED stay.

Angio was as clean as they come. Last I heard of him he was in CCU and everyone was shrugging their shoulders.

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant
So... sort of a disappointing follow up. Might be able to follow up again in coming days assuming anyone on the unit remembers him.

The attending paramedic called a code STEMI, but O/A at the hospital there was some discussion about a reduction in the ST elevation and they didn't send him straight to the cath lab. Initially they were going with coronary artery spasm, but they did cath him at some stage in his ED stay.

Angio was as clean as they come. Last I heard of him he was in CCU and everyone was shrugging their shoulders.

Prinzmetal's angina for a nice zebra.

Negative on cardiac enzymes?

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Prinzmetal's angina for a nice zebra.

Negative on cardiac enzymes?

Perhaps. But I suppose we wont be finding out any time soon. Nobody on the unit was aware of the case when I returned a week or so later. Looks like there won't be any answers.

No enzyme rise as far as I know, but I wouldn't hang my hat on the idea.

Has anybody got any theories on the STE in II?