2018 conferences and classes

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Is anyone else starting to lay out their 2018 conference and class schedule?

I was planning on the Gathering of the Eagles in Dallas, but it’s right before an EMS Quality Management class I’m hoping to take at the National Fire Academy.

I’m going to pass on the EMSworld and JEMS conferences this year. They’re too dumbed down for my taste.

What else looks good?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Is anyone else starting to lay out their 2018 conference and class schedule?

I was planning on the Gathering of the Eagles in Dallas, but it’s right before an EMS Quality Management class I’m hoping to take at the National Fire Academy.

I’m going to pass on the EMSworld and JEMS conferences this year. They’re too dumbed down for my taste.

What else looks good?

I'm looking at going to NTI 2018 in Boston, CT EMS Expo/EMS PRO in CT, and the Massachusetts EMS Conference (though if I'm not mistaken, EMS PRO and NTI may be the same week).

Edit: looked at the dates wrong, they don't overlap but they are back-to-back.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So I went to EMSword several years ago, and didn't think it was dumbed down at all; I learned a lot, but I also realize that it all depends on what lectures you attend, who the presenters are, and what you are looking to get out of it. I also met a paramedic instructor from Ga, who said they were doing CCR with only a NRB, with very promising results, which totally blew my mind.

I also attended the Atlanticare Trauma conference in NJ, which I thought had some good speakers.

The biggest "issue" I have with going to any medical conference as a field provider is you might learn the latest and greatest medicine, or intervention, but if your medical director doesn't do it, you can't use said latest bleeding edge thing. You can come out more educated, but if your agency up to that level yet, you still can't put your education in practice. At EMS world, the presenter was the department chair or toxicology and emergency medicine from Univ of Virginia medical center, and his "best practice" for dealing with bath salts overdoses would have never been permitted in NJ (or NC for that matter), and he was a SME.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Dr P, very valid points. I went to a presentation on event medic issues and they’re treating hyperthermia secondary to MDMA ingestion with Dantrolene, Ice water baths, ketamine and a tube. And they’re doing it on site.

That would never fly here.

But, if you can leverage your position and back up your claims with research, you can wtbon protocol committees and maybe change things. :)

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Dr P, very valid points. I went to a presentation on event medic issues and they’re treating hyperthermia secondary to MDMA ingestion with Dantrolene, Ice water baths, ketamine and a tube. And they’re doing it on site.

But, if you can leverage your position and back up your claims with research, you can wtbon protocol committees and maybe change things. :)
That's impressive how they are handling the drug induced hyperthermia. We do ice water immersion and chilled saline out here for exercise induced hyperthermia and have excellent results with it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

I believe the medical team for Insomniac uses that approach at their raves/parties. From the handful of people we have who work part time with them it sounds like it has been working very well.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we start doing something similar during our huge yearly festival.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I do happen to already have a mental list of con-ed laid out through 2018. I want to get a large chunk of next cycles CE’s done as early as possible.

Unfortunately, the conference that I really wanted to attend won’t count for next cycle’s CE’s since it falls within this years FP-C CE cycle. AMTC is in Arizona later next year, so I might give that one a go.

@DrParasite brings up a somewhat frustrating, albeit very good point. @NomadicMedic brings an excellent counterpoint as well.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I’ve always heard tbe Texas EMS expo is well worth it, usually better than the national conferences.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Im looking at the EMCritCon in NYC, FDNYs MedSOC conference, and Eagles. Our state conference (NJ) has been really underwhelming the last 2 years. CT Expo was go the first year, but i havent been back since. I feel that many EMS conferences around here have become....underwhelming and i have been looking at conferences aimed at higher level providers.

Oh and ill go to FDIC again

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I like the EMS Association of Colorado conference, I'll go again next year. Good networking if nothing else. Went to the American Ambulance Association Conference in Vegas this year. Really, really good material on reimbursement and other back end issues, but not something I need to attend yearly.

I have a friend at Stony Brook med school so we might go to the EmCrit conference this year.

DrParasite

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
not going to lie, never going to http://www.fdnypro.org/msoc/ is actually one of my regrets of things I didn't do before I left NJ and moved down south.

It looks like an amazing learning opportunity.
It was. I went in expecting a lot of the typical Fire Department wankery but it was not. It was very much a medical conference first, your patients just happened to be in hard to reach places. It was a good mix of provider levels and representatives of all styles of EMS service.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I was hoping to go to the Eagles conference this year, but our travel budget got cut for 2018 so that won't happen.

I'm also looking into the FlightBridgeED conference.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The SMACC conference seems rather intriguing. I highly doubt I have the budget for Berlin this year though. I want to say it was in The States last year, so it truly is global.

It certainly seems as though it would benefit those directly in charge of system-wide changes within their respective services, and/ or regions. Perhaps one year...
https://www.smacc.net.au/

@NPO FAST 2018 seems interesting as well, and I considered it too, but again it’s another conference that would do nothing for me CE-wise given its date. Plus, I think I would personally rather the “second annual” and on learn from, and add on to their inaugural conference.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

The SMACC conference seems rather intriguing. I highly doubt I have the budget for Berlin this year though. I want to say it was in The States last year, so it truly is global.

It certainly seems as though it would benefit those directly in charge of system-wide changes within their respective services, and/ or regions. Perhaps one year...
https://www.smacc.net.au/

@NPO FAST 2018 seems interesting as well, and I considered it too, but again it’s another conference that would do nothing for me CE-wise given its date. Plus, I think I would personally rather the “second annual” and on learn from, and add on to their inaugural conference.

SMACC will be back in Feb '19. That'll be on the list, for sure.

DrParasite

So It's been a year...... For those that attended conferences, what did you think?

for 2019, I'm looking at attending several conferences:
EMSToday 2019
Mass Gathering Medicine Summit in Las Vegas
EMSPro Expo in Ct
South Carolina Fire-Rescue Conference in Columbia SC
South Atlantic Fire Rescue Expo in Raleigh NC

I'd like to do the Virginia EMS Symposium, NC EMS Expo and maybe even Vital signs in upstate NY, there is only so much traveling I can do (and not enough weekend ones, taking time off during the week gets tough)

What are you guys looking at? And is anyone looking at presenting at any of the conferences?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So It's been a year...... For those that attended conferences, what did you think?

for 2019, I'm looking at attending several conferences:
EMSToday 2019
Mass Gathering Medicine Summit in Las Vegas
EMSPro Expo in Ct
South Carolina Fire-Rescue Conference in Columbia SC
South Atlantic Fire Rescue Expo in Raleigh NC

I'd like to do the Virginia EMS Symposium, NC EMS Expo and maybe even Vital signs in upstate NY, there is only so much traveling I can do (and not enough weekend ones, taking time off during the week gets tough)

What are you guys looking at? And is anyone looking at presenting at any of the conferences?
As much as I would like to travel around to different conferences, this year I am going to be pretty limited to the CA/AZ/NV areas. Right now the only conference I am aware of in those areas is CFED (California Fire/EMS/Disaster). Their clinical lectures are very limited so who knows.

I haven’t done much research on other conferences so I need to start looking into more.

AMTC and EMSworld expo are out since they are not local this year.