2017 resolutions

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's time to put together the annual "to do" list. Here's my 5 2017 resolutions.

1) I'll wear my eye protection on every call.

2) I'll take the FP-C test.

3) I promise to swear off soda for good.

4) I will exercise at least 20 minutes a day.

5) Remember that taking care of myself is as important as taking care of others.

Let's hear yours!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
1: Be successful at my new job.

2: Be a good dad and husband.

3: Cook more food and buy less fast food.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
1. Pay off everything besides mortgage (cars ect)
2. finish at least 1/2 of BSN
3. be a better/good fiance
4. complete all pre-requisites for a huge promotion at work(aside from years of serivce)
5. Drink at a maximum of 10 times the whole year, I drank wayyyy to much this year.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I make goals all the time/year round, I do not pile them up for any special day. More likely to follow through and complete with success if you practice that way.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I make goals all the time/year round, I do not pile them up for any special day. More likely to follow through and complete with success if you practice that way.

Sure, I also paste them into my to do list, so every tine I look at my list, there they are. These are obtainable. It makes you feel like you've accomplished things when you've got a list to tick off.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting enough, I read a study about maintaining a To Do list and how overall it is bad. Basically it never is complete and eventually grows longer and longer then becomes unmanageable and over whelming. (Then most people just trash it and start a new cycle)

For maximum efficacy and psyche trickery, start each day with a a few light, very obtainable tasks, one which requires some effort and then one which requires ongoing effort but has a pending defined deadline. Anything else done is gravy, but basically should wait until another day...

Most keepers of the To Do List add as much as they complete and then go to bed with a cluttered brain restricting productivity, creativity and general sense of satisfaction/well being.

Edit: Adding this link to FORBES, great article on HOW to use a To Do List properly.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/vanessaloder/2014/06/02/five-best-to-do-list-tips/#1d7fe8e951b5

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
I never really have New Years Resolutions. But I guess this would be close to it.....

1) quit smoking.
2) try not to murder anyone cause I'm quitting smoking.
3) Don't make the above two next year's goal again.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Interesting article. I agree that having a huge list of tasks can be daunting. I actually use Trello project management software for my to do list. I started years ago with post it notes on the corkboard and then moved to an electronic version. I've always been involved in operational management, overseeing a dozen projects at once, and having a very fluid re-organizeable punchlist really helps me keep things in line. Having simple, easily completeable tasks on your priority list is a great motivator. You'll see them get checked off and you know that you're burning through the list. It's along the lines of Dave Ramsey suggesting that you pay off your smallest credit card debt first. I don't think daily organization is a one-size-fits-all, but for me, a fluid list really works.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting article. I agree that having a huge list of tasks can be daunting. I actually use Trello project management software for my to do list.

Similar to Asana? I have been using that the past few months on project bids, seeing how it goes. Jury still out.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Go back to school to finish my AAS EMS
Excsrcise more and eat better to try to get under flight weight limits (not necessarily to fly, just for me)
Get my finances more under control and build a safety net
Build up my photography portfolio and business a little more with some time every week dedicated just to it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Go back to school to finish my AAS EMS
Excsrcise more and eat better to try to get under flight weight limits (not necessarily to fly, just for me)
Get my finances more under control and build a safety net
Build up my photography portfolio and business a little more with some time every week dedicated just to it.
Here, here on the schoolwork. I'm going to try do the same.

I'm starting with an EMS management course in January, and will be hounding my medic school for college credits towards a degree as well.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
In all reality mine are:
1. Continue school for an AAS (almost there)
2. Drop some pounds
3. Work on finance things (savings, credit card, auto loan).
4. Take a CCEMT-P course and take the FP-C.
5. Take some additional "merit badge courses"

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
i would also like to add not dying to my list* making it to 2018 is important

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Buy a house and keep working on being financially responsible.

Quit chewing.

Not kill anyone while quitting chewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk