2 EMT's survive crash, attend to drunk driver that hit them

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief

2 EMT's survive crash, attend to drunk driver that hit them

Rookie EMT Jennifer Morgan was at her first accident scene, partner and veteran ambulance driver Laurie Sayre, an EMT-Paramedic, by her side. She never dreamed it would be as one of the victims.

The two had grown close in the months since teaming up at AmeriCare EMS Ltd ambulance service. Dubbed "the chick squad," they had gotten used to keeping each other laughing on long patient transports to Houston and around East Texas.

"She's been my best partner," Sayre said firmly.

"Thank you," Morgan responded, obviously moved.

Neither could have predicted the sudden, violent events in the early hours of Aug. 5 that would test the limits of partnership, endurance and professionalism.

It was just after 2 a.m. that morning as the duo returned to Lufkin on state Highway 103 after a trip to Palestine. They stopped for snacks and got back on the road, Sayre snacking on sunflower seeds.

Morgan unbuckled her seatbelt to grab a bottle of juice on the floor. Better buckle up, Sayre cautioned, the two spotting a herd of deer near the roadway. Morgan clicked the seatbelt into its lock.

Minutes later, an oncoming driver veered into their lane, slamming into the ambulance, sending it tumbling and sliding across the pavement, rolling before grinding into a ditch off the shoulder.

"The ambulance was turned sideways resting on the driver's side, so Jennifer was hanging by her seatbelt above me," Sayre wrote, describing the aftermath in an accident report.

Read more here...

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I was gonna post this because we need some HAPPY news, but you beat me to it. :)

randyb

Forum Probie
Thanks for the story. I will be using this in my substance abuser class, esp. since most of the folks here are court ordered for OWI.