2 dead in collision of ambulance, truck

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Will post more on this accident in Iowa as it becomes available.

Authorities in Boone County are reporting that 2 people have been killed in a collision between a semi-trailer truck and an ambulance.

The collision occurred Thursday afternoon on Highway 30 near the town of Beaver. The highway was closed to traffic as emergency crews responded to the accident

http://qctimes.com/news/state-and-regional/iowa/article_64627e1f-edef-561b-9e84-e9aacd61d99a.html

More info

http://www.ketv.com/mostpopular/23544692/detail.html

Be careful out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
guys,

What is sad is this is totally preventable.

These people are not the only ones to be killed moving around a large patient compartment, instead of a smaller one, with forward or rear facing seats.

They are not the first to be injured or killed because of an unpredictable reaction of a driver to seeing lights and hearing sirens behind him.

The evasion clearly didn't work, so we can conclude speed probably played a factor.

Bottom line:

These people died because we are hell bent on not doing what we know is right to preserve how we feel we should be acting. They will not be the last.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
guys,

What is sad is this is totally preventable.

They are not the first to be injured or killed because of an unpredictable reaction of a driver to seeing lights and hearing sirens behind him.

The evasion clearly didn't work, so we can conclude speed probably played a factor.

Bottom line:

These people died because we are hell bent on not doing what we know is right to preserve how we feel we should be acting. They will not be the last.

I agree with you, this could have been avoided.
People need to understand what it is like to drive a Semi or even a 20' gooseneck stock trailer. They have some major blind spots in the back and on the sides. If a driver is up on the bumper, I can't see them. And also a semi or diesel truck pretty much drown out most noise around them. Especialy when they are hauling a full load. I have had that happen to me as I am driving the dually with trailer.
Sad for the nurse, family of the pt, and the others. My thoughts and prayers are with her and the rest.

zmedic

Forum Captain
This is a good lesson of why you should really really not pass people on the right when driving L & S, because when they suddenly decide to do what they are supposed to and pull right they go into the rig. Furthermore, semi's have big blind spots on the right, that's why there are those warning stickers on the back about passing on the right.

When someone wouldn't pull right I'd either 1) sit behind them laying on the horn until the got the message, 2) pull over the dividing line and pass on the left if it was clear well ahead and I could easily get back right after the stopped driver, or 3) worst case scenario I would pass on the right, going super slow (like 35MPH), getting as far right as I could so I had room to get away when the idiot in front of my suddenly swerved.

I think if someone isn't pulling over you need to take the extra 30 seconds to stop and sort something out, rather than trying to pass on the right on the fly. And if you are going to fast to stop, then you're in the wrong too.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
This is a good lesson of why you should really really not pass people on the right when driving L & S, because when they suddenly decide to do what they are supposed to and pull right they go into the rig.

When someone wouldn't pull right I'd either 1) sit behind them laying on the horn until the got the message, 2) pull over the dividing line and pass on the left if it was clear well ahead and I could easily get back right after the stopped driver, or 3) worst case scenario I would pass on the right, going super slow (like 35MPH), getting as far right as I could so I had room to get away when the idiot in front of my suddenly swerved.

I think if someone isn't pulling over you need to take the extra 30 seconds to stop and sort something out, rather than trying to pass on the right on the fly. And if you are going to fast to stop, then you're in the wrong too.

This basically, unless it is a multi lane one way street. In that case people seem to insist on pulling to the left also so we usually end up driving in the middle because if we tried to stay in the far left lane we would never get anywhere.

Neither me nor my partner would ever try and suddenly pass someone on the right because of exactly what happened in this case. I hope the two survivors end up being ok.