1 in every 32

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
of us is a criminal?

clicky

WASHINGTON: A record 7 million people — or one in every 32 American adults — were behind bars, on probation or on parole by the end of last year, according to the Justice Department.

what's wrong with this picture?

~S~

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
wooo hooo good for the old Job.

Last edited by a moderator:

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
It has to be all the hormones we are putting in the food supply, that or the economy is worse than I thought...

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
Just remember boys and girls the statistics vary, but for every $1 we do not spend on schools (elementary- universities) we will spend $3 or more housing those drop outs in prison later.

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
one thumb up Fedmedic! (the other is currently occupied in the nether regions)
stalint.gif

VinBin

Forum Captain
I would agree that funding is a bit skewed in terms of national defense, I don't like the argument that "National priorites proj." puts forth that for every dollar we spend on X, we could have done millions of good things for Y(homeless children, education...).

That doesn't make any sense...The way to create better schools and Insure everyone (is that even a possible or logical goal?) is to change the enviornment that everyone is growing up in. RALS504 you imply that there are dropouts because we don't spend enough on education. That is false, take my High School for example, it was one of the top in the state, but it was very divided in terms of students. There were students who would utilize the materials and challenge themselves (surprising enough, because their peers were of the same type/home enviornment supported it) and those that didn't really care (but were given the same oppurtunities as all the students). There is no amount of money that is going to change their minds on the value of education, if you want to put money into anything, put it into making better parents, changing the culture...etc.

Other statistics to note :
US Pop. by Race: 70% White, 12%Black, 12%Hispanic, 6%Other
Inmates by Race: 35% White, 44%Black, 18%Hispanic, 3%Other

Pushing money into arbitrary things as such isnt necessarily going to give results...

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
The United States is 49th in the world in literacy (the New York Times, Dec. 12, 2004).

The United States ranked 28th out of 40 countries in mathematical literacy (NYT, Dec. 12, 2004).

Twenty percent of Americans think the sun orbits the earth. Seventeen percent believe the earth revolves around the sun once a day (The Week, Jan. 7, 2005).
clicky

an oligarchy only survives if it's citizens fight among themselves VinBin

~S~

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I would agree that funding is a bit skewed in terms of national defense, I don't like the argument that "National priorites proj." puts forth that for every dollar we spend on X, we could have done millions of good things for Y(homeless children, education...).

That doesn't make any sense...The way to create better schools and Insure everyone (is that even a possible or logical goal?) is to change the enviornment that everyone is growing up in. RALS504 you imply that there are dropouts because we don't spend enough on education. That is false, take my High School for example, it was one of the top in the state, but it was very divided in terms of students. There were students who would utilize the materials and challenge themselves (surprising enough, because their peers were of the same type/home enviornment supported it) and those that didn't really care (but were given the same oppurtunities as all the students). There is no amount of money that is going to change their minds on the value of education, if you want to put money into anything, put it into making better parents, changing the culture...etc.

Other statistics to note :
US Pop. by Race: 70% White, 12%Black, 12%Hispanic, 6%Other
Inmates by Race: 35% White, 44%Black, 18%Hispanic, 3%Other

Pushing money into arbitrary things as such isnt necessarily going to give results...

I agree.........

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
nothing amazes me more than citizens of a police state advocating their own liberties being frittered away, while they wave flags and tout their love for freedom and democracy at that

or citizens advocating governace that turns it's back on the general populances problems, while convincing them that they are to blame

but then , we're living in the widest disparity since the Roman empire, and look what happened to them....

~S~

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
Let me clarify my earlier post. I am not saying every drop out will end up in prison. I am saying that the less education you have statistically speaking you are more likely to make less money and/or possibly end up in prison. There are always exceptions, i.e. we had a cop killer about 14 years back that had a doctorate degree in like physics and a high paying job. I agree the problem is not just a money issue. That is a factor, but the problem is everyone is too busy to help each other out. Look at current trends in how many close friends people have or if people volunteer for any type of organization. I had a professor who told me when he was in high school he did not dare cut class because his neighbors would tell his parents about it and this was mid 1950s. Now you are luck if you know your neighbors to either side of you. Just some of my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

VinBin

Forum Captain
nothing amazes me more than citizens of a police state advocating their own liberties being frittered away, while they wave flags and tout their love for freedom and democracy at that
can you elaborate on how we are living in a police state?

Stevo said:
or citizens advocating governace that turns it's back on the general populances problems, while convincing them that they are to blame

~S~
There is a big difference between advocating a government that doesnt do anything to help the people and advocating personal responsibilty for the masses...

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
VinBin, if 1 out of every 32 of us doesn't convince you (or anybody)there's a problem, i'm not sure what else i could post for you

i do, however, have more material if you'd like.

~S~

VinBin

Forum Captain
I was actually requesting that you elaborate on your statement that we are living in a "police state."

I agree there is a problem, I never stated there wasn't...But just because there is a high rate of the population in prison doesn't define a "police state"....

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
good point

what would be the definition of Police State ?

how's being only second to China in incarcerations per capita?

how's the element of collusion set with you on our longest war (drugs), producing over 2 million non violent inmates? note that other countries have let go the strict standards we have, decriminalizing minor offenses

the advent (around 20 yrs ago) of mandatory sentencing,federal guidlines,and the increased federalization of crimes in itself had a major impact here

and lastly, the privitization of our penal system is becoming a cash cow, it's become a friggin' business in itself

somehow 'let freedom ring' doesn't quite carry as it once did ....

~S~

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
good point

what would be the definition of Police State ?

how's being only second to China in incarcerations per capita?

So are you saying we should look the other way when people commit crimes? Take away some of the laws that we have?

how's the element of collusion set with you on our longest war (drugs), producing over 2 million non violent inmates? note that other countries have let go the strict standards we have, decriminalizing minor offenses

Sure, take away the laws and crime goes down. Can't break a law if it doesn't exist. But is that what the majority wants?

the advent (around 20 yrs ago) of mandatory sentencing,federal guidlines,and the increased federalization of crimes in itself had a major impact here

And this is bad why?

and lastly, the privitization of our penal system is becoming a cash cow, it's become a friggin' business in itself

Again, this is bad why?

somehow 'let freedom ring' doesn't quite carry as it once did ....~S~

Don't break the law and your freedom should ring for your entire life.

B)

Fedmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Again, this is bad why?

B)

I can tell you why privatization of our penal system is bad. For the last 6 years the president has been trying to privatize our federal prison system. The reason being is Wackenhut would get the contract. If you research it, Wackenhut is based out of Texas and was one of Bush's largest campaign contributors during both elections. Now after researching it, we find out the BOP(current system) operates $1.25 cheaper, per inmate, per day than a private company; with 150,000 inmates this translates into a significant savings for the taxpayers. Not only that but we are much more secure and have much higher hiring standards than a private company. Which in turn means more security for our communities. So why would they want to change from a system that is cheaper and better? Because it means putting money in the politicians pockets and their buddies pockets. I hope that answered your question.