‘Always in Service’ Campaign Celebrates the Men and Women of EMS; Promotes EMS Week

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
EMS_Strong_Page_01.58dbc208bfd60.jpg

The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP), in partnership with the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT), is proud to announce this year’s EMS STRONG campaign theme: Always In Service.

EMS STRONG is an annual campaign designed to unite and inspire EMS personnel, strengthen the profession on a national level, and expand and celebrate National EMS Week, May 21–27.

read the complete story here: http://www.emsworld.com/news/123204...es-the-men-and-women-of-ems-promotes-ems-week

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I think this is cool, it is nice to recognize the EMS folks who work there a$$es off every day.

But politically, its too little, too late.

Compare EMS to the fire service. What is the main difference? PR. That is all.

EMS is so far behind on PR, that it will take decades to catch up to fire. Even though EMS' value on daily basis outstrips firefighting by a long shot.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
It is almost impossible to compare EMS to Fire when it comes to PR. The big shiny fire trucks draw in the kids at early age, firefighters out number EMS providers. The older one gets the more they start to see their mortality and they try to avoid contact with us. If you have participated in any emergency services fair you know what I mean. Kids run up to ambulance and climb in. Adults stay at an arms length

I think over the last decade there has been been a big change for the positive in how we are viewed. I feel we are respected and supported. We are still an infant and fire is a very old man when you take in to account when each was formed.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

Compare EMS to the fire service. What is the main difference? PR. That is all.
other differences, FD gets more funding, FD gets more staffing, FD salaries are typically higher, FD has fewer entrace requirements...... but I agree that PR is something the FD is good at, and something EMS tends to shy away from
EMS is so far behind on PR, that it will take decades to catch up to fire. Even though EMS' value on daily basis outstrips firefighting by a long shot.
EMS is so far behind on PR, and too many EMS leaders think no news is good news, and are sooooo ultra conservative when it comes to reporting anything to the press........ or even worse, if EMS is a sub group of another agency (a hospital, a FD, a town, etc), they will frequently differ any PR duties to a person outside of their group, who doesn't advocate for EMS or whose primary job isn't to tell the world what EMS has done.

but that's a rant for another day.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
FD has fewer entrace requirements

This depends solely on your area. Where I'm at in SoCal I beg to differ when comparing entrance requirements of FD vs EMS. Most fire departments require your p-card and all the cookie cutter certs along with it (ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, CPR of course), your CPAT or BIDDLE, fire academy, they typical 18 years old and a DL. Where as EMS (here) is 18 years old with a DL and a ADL, and your p-card with the cookie cutter certs.

Now I'm aware that this isn't the case everywhere. We just have to be extra special in SoCal.

EDIT: EMS is not only years, but decades behind in PR. Same with LE although they're taking active PR steps where I'm at, which is nice to see.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
EMS_Strong_Page_01.58dbc208bfd60.jpg

The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP), in partnership with the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT), is proud to announce this year’s EMS STRONG campaign theme: Always In Service.

EMS STRONG is an annual campaign designed to unite and inspire EMS personnel, strengthen the profession on a national level, and expand and celebrate National EMS Week, May 21–27.

read the complete story here: http://www.emsworld.com/news/123204...es-the-men-and-women-of-ems-promotes-ems-week

Great share! Thank you.

Let's try to be positive about this, rather than undervalue it as "too little too late."

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

Now I'm aware that this isn't the case everywhere. We just have to be extra special in SoCal.
You're right. Florida is the same way. That all being said, there are still plenty of states where you need no experience to get hired, they put you through their academy (a 3 to 9 month process, depending on what agency), where you are paid the entire time, before being put on a field unit.

Very few EMS agencies will take someone off the street, pay for their training, and then put them on a truck where they will make a decent wage for the duration of their career.
All true, but WHY do those differences exist?
My friend, if you want me to answer your post, we will need quite a bit of alcohol, and about 2 hours to have me rant about how leadership in EMS over the past 30 years has grossly failed the current generation of providers by providing the public with unrealistic expectations for what we need to do the job properly.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Very few EMS agencies will take someone off the street, pay for their training, and then put them on a truck where they will make a decent wage for the duration of their career.

And even fewer where they get a generous pension or good disability benefits...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You're right. Florida is the same way. That all being said, there are still plenty of states where you need no experience to get hired, they put you through their academy (a 3 to 9 month process, depending on what agency), where you are paid the entire time, before being put on a field unit.

My friend, if you want me to answer your post, we will need quite a bit of alcohol, and about 2 hours to have me rant about how leadership in EMS over the past 30 years has grossly failed the current generation of providers by providing the public with unrealistic expectations for what we need to do the job properly.

I'd like to be there for beers and that conversation

VentMonkey

Family Guy
leadership in EMS over the past 30 years has grossly failed the current generation of providers by providing the public with unrealistic expectations for what we need to do the job properly.
I absolutely agree, and can't help but think this is yet one of a handful of major "revolving-door" reasons why turnover continues to be astronomically high.
I'd like to be there for beers and that conversation
Ditto.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Someone say beer?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
As ive said here before and many other places. It doesnt bother me that Fire Departments have massive budgets.

It bothers me that of all emergency services, EMS is EXPECTED to profit while Fire and LE have zero income.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk