Which Portable Suction?

Hopper

Forum Probie
The squad I am a member of is looking for 4 new portable suction kits.I been on a search,but when I start looking at so many not sure what to buy.What's the most popular units?Like to hear some feedback on what you have and the pro's and con's on the others.Having a carrying case is a plus and nothing to bulky.

Thanks Keith

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Are you guys looking for a soft catheder? for fluid suction or a hard catheder for chunky stuff?

OP
OP
H

Hopper

Forum Probie
Want to beable to set suctioning voluminous.The tips to be interchangable.

skyemt

Forum Captain
my squad as well is looking for new portable suction units.

need to use both hard and soft tips...

thanks

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Suction!

I like the Laerdal suction units (LSU) they are very well made great warranty, and run great. Our department got ours from Bound Tree Medical. www.boundtree.com Here is the item number L780020. As far as hand held goes, you can't bet a V-vac hand suction unit. Hope this helps! :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I don't know what a "catheder" is? LOL .. Most suction units are designed similar and not much difference. I definitely do not suggest portable hand type but powered type should have variable speeds. In regards to suction catheters the unit should have a supply of variable types and sizes. If possible to have an internal charger to be able to charge inside the truck.

Rigid tonsil tip type such as Yankauer or large trauma type tubing, and soft type such tracheal suction types (16 french common and other various sizes).

R/r 911

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Just a diffrent name for the type of the suction. Hard (rigid) or soft (french) catheders.

and honestly I cant beleive that I remeber that the soft catheder is called a french catheder. Haha pretty sweet.

Airway goddess seems to know where to go =]

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Just a diffrent name for the type of the suction. Hard (rigid) or soft (french) catheders.

and honestly I cant beleive that I remeber that the soft catheder is called a french catheder. Haha pretty sweet.

Would have been sweeter if you hadn't misspelled C-a-t-h-e-t-e-r

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant

Hah...Rid got schooled!!!...or not.
I think I can hear the terminology/spelling debate coming again...anyone else?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually, french is a size and has nothing to do with being rigid or soft. Yes, unfortunately they did not recognize my point of it is a catheter not phonic spelling.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief

French refers to the size such as 8 fr, 10 fr, etc. It is used as a measure for many catheters including foleys and chest tubes.

The French unit refers to the outer circumference of the catheter.

If you have an artificial airway such as an ETT or trach, the circumference is found by the formula; pi x diameter

pi = 3.14 but can be rounded to 3 for practical purposes.

So, 3 x 8 = 24 mm for the circumference which can be expressed as 24 french for the catheter size.

You want to suction with a catheter that is no bigger than 2/3 the circumference of the airway tube.

For a quick calculation of the correct suction catheter size: 2 x diameter in mm

16 french or smaller would be the correct sized suction catheter for an 8 mm tube.

EDIT: You beat me to it Rid while I was spell checking.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
16 french or smaller would be the correct sized suction catheter for an 8 mm tube.

For airways such as ETTs and some trach manufacturers, the size is expressed by diameter in mm. Trach sizes can vary according to the manufacturer with each using a different number system for sizes.

There are also many different airways used for a variety of diseases or surgical treatments that can be sized in the French measure. These airways may be seen in homecare or long term facilities and are commonly mistaken for a "trach" but are actually very different and may not have the same 15 mm adaptor to connect to a bag valve device or ventilator.

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for clearing that up for me. In EMT class I think I misunderstood what the instructor was saying when he was talking about French Catheters.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
In EMT class I think I misunderstood what the instructor was saying when he was talking about French Catheters.

Possible, but I doubt it. Majority of EMS providers (even instructors) are ignorant of medical equipment and the proper identification and usage.

R/r 911

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
Hopper,
We have used several portable units over the years, manual and powered.
For the most part, their is a lack of "suck" in pre-hospital suctioning.
This link is what we carry in our jump bag.
http://online.boundtree.com/store/product_index.asp?Cat=&SubCat=&Prod=590276

They are as usable as most, I liked the V-Vac, but some of the crew had a hard time with it.(hand strength). powered units are high maintenance, costly, and clumsy to carry in a jump bag.
As for in general, unless it is some sort of "Shop-Vac" you can't use the word SUCK.

By.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

Hopper

Forum Probie
After all the searching and the few suggestion here,the squad voted on the Laerdal LSU.Now we are looking for pouches to carry the catheters along with the unit.Any suggestion? Thanks.

OP
OP
H

Hopper

Forum Probie
I had found their web-site and contacted them.Got a real nice package deal buying 4 at one time.Thanks everyone.