1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.

when to call the state?!

Discussion in 'BLS Discussion' started by EchoMikeTango, Aug 2, 2011.

  1. EchoMikeTango

    EchoMikeTango New Member

    New Jersey
    I have a PT who has strong Hx of Chronic seizures. I don't know if she is non compliant with meds, or what. Every time I go to her house she is difficult to say the least, but her postictal state is very short. She usually has a HR of about 130 ( UNK how long that lasts) and is AAOx3 by the time we AOS.

    She never wants to go to the hospital. No matter what the Medics say, no matter what the police say, and no matter what the family says.

    Here is my issue. She lives alone with her young daughter. Her daughter is terrified, because mommy keeps having these thing happen.

    Im really at a loss. should the state be called. My boss says she will talk to the town? I would really hate to get social services involved, but the welfare of a child is what i am worried about.
  2. Anjel

    Anjel Forum Angel

    The Mitten
    I personally would document very well in my report. And let my supervisor know and let them handle it.

    We have forms that we can fill out and request a social worker look into the situation.
  3. Linuss

    Linuss New Member

    If you think someone can't handle their responsibilities as an adult / parent, that's when you get APS / CPS involved. It is then up to them to decide what to do.

    However, I ask you... what makes you think she's an unfit parent just because she has a history of seizures? Would you do the same thing if you were called out to someone that was a diabetic? Would them being a diabetic make them a bad parent?

    However, remember that if YOU are the one with the concern, YOU are the one required by law to report it, not your supervisor or some doctor you tell.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011
  4. Anjel

    Anjel Forum Angel

    The Mitten
    I agree. But it depends what company policy is. That is our policy. We fill out the request for someone to look into the problem. And let the supervisor handle it from there.

    As employees they frown upon us taking matters into our own hands without running it by someone first.

    Edit: UNLESS it is child abuse, rape, etc.
  5. EchoMikeTango

    EchoMikeTango New Member

    New Jersey
    Im not sure i would go as far as stating that she is unfit. But this woman is neglecting her health. She has a 7yo in the home, alone, how has to fend for herself when her mom has a seizure. What if her mother has a heart attack and the neighbor isnt home next time. i just dont know how to impress on the PT that this is a serious health concern. what if it happens while she drives. what if she falls down her flight of stairs.

    Its just a stressful situation..
  6. Sasha

    Sasha New Member

    Any parent could have a heart attack leaving their child alone... She's got seizures, she should take care of herself and her health but as this is a free country unless you can prove mental defect she can't be forced to.
  7. Sasha

    Sasha New Member

    PS calling the state may result in an investigation which could upset the child much more to think that some strangers are trying to take her away from her mom. Kids have strong attachment to their parents, even if they have health problems.
  8. akflightmedic

    akflightmedic Active Member

    The kid is 7. While that is young, there is a huge difference here if we were talking infant/toddler versus a 7 year old.

    If "mommy has these bad things happen" again, a 7 year old is more than capable of managing calling for help or waiting to see if mom wakes up without any major dramas.

    You speak like someone who has no children and seem unimpressed by the actual real capabilities/intelligence/situational awareness of the average 7 year old.

    All of you what ifs are bogus as that could happen to any one of us at any given moment...maybe we should call the state on each of ourselves???
  9. akflightmedic

    akflightmedic Active Member

    This holds true without the need for any qualifier.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011
  10. AlphaButch

    AlphaButch New Member

    Houston, TX
    Without being on scene and given the details provided, my first action would most likely be towards education.

    If there isn't neglect/abuse/etc going on and the worry is grounded on the feeling that the 7 yr old is scared - I would try to arrange some education for the child with the mother's permission. Although the mother refuses transport and/or care (which is her right), she may be amicable towards one of your medics talking with the child on what to do; leaving some written instructions involving how and when to call 911; actions to take should Mommy have another seizure; give the 7 year old the education to help understand and feel empowered in the situation. This would also help build a stronger rapport with the patient and family in the event of a more serious incident.

    I have an elderly father who is diabetic and after educating my boys (7 and 9 at the time), they were able to handle a seizure incident more calmly than many adults.

    Document thoroughly and know your state reporting requirements. In Texas, it is required that the provider report it within 48 hours. A good flyer to post at your station if you're in Texas (swiflyer.pdf)
  11. LoveColorado

    LoveColorado New Member

    The state is a good start.

Share This Page