Whatcha pocket?

emsbambi

Forum Ride Along
Hi I'm a fairly new EMT and was wondering what you all carry in your pocket/on your belt while on shift? What do you feel is unnecessary to carry? Thank you!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Hi. There are literal cascades of threads and replies on this.
I used to carry my car keys, wallet, comb (haha bald now), spare O2 gaskets, money, swiss army knife. On my belt, 7.5 inch serrated shears.

Later add gloves (ten gloves rolled tightly in pairs) , facility keys with beefy retractor on belt; remove knife (no knives in jail).

Rin

Forum Captain
Gloves, pen, penlight, steth (it's a big pocket), O2 key, small flashlight, keys, wallet, chapstick, phone

Nothing on my belt. Not really into the whole Batman look lol

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Raptor because I'm awesome... Roll of tape on a little carabiner.. Extra gloves, a Sharpie, my lucky Fisher Space pen..

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Pocket: Cellphone, car keys, Chapstick, knife, and my wallet

Belt: pager, PPE pouch required by company, and a handheld radio that is also required but company.

If I need anything else it is either on the gurney or in my response bags.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Pants: Wallet, keys, pocket knife, occasionally some spare change.

Belt: SOG Power Lock multitool

Uniform shirt pockets: cellphone, pen, spare pen, spare blue ink pen, pen light, and a microfiber cleaning cloth.

On calls company policy is to wear a waist pack with PPE (5 pairs of gloves, N95 mask, surgical mask, gown, and protective goggles per SOP, so far I've only had to use the goggles lol). Everything else is either on the gurney or in the ambulance.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Pants: Wallet, keys, pocket knife, occasionally some spare change.

Belt: SOG Power Lock multitool

Uniform shirt pockets: cellphone, pen, spare pen, spare blue ink pen, pen light, and a microfiber cleaning cloth.

On calls company policy is to wear a waist pack with PPE (5 pairs of gloves, N95 mask, surgical mask, gown, and protective goggles per SOP, so far I've only had to use the goggles lol). Everything else is either on the gurney or in the ambulance.

Just say fanny pack :p

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
I carry carmex and gloves, Remember BSI. and scene safety!! FYI, did you know that carmex helps to deter the smell of BO, GI bleed smells and Vomitus. My EMT-B instructor who happens to be an EMT-I told me that carmex helps deter foul smells in the Rig. That's if you have a weak stomach. And my pockets on my cargo pants have reflective stripes on the side that helps at night. Our state requires that we wear HI-VIS vests and reflective helmets too. Because if not caught wearing this gear we can get fined up to 10,000 dollars per offense. Remember Safety is 1 in taking care of yourself and your patient.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
I carry carmex and gloves, Remember BSI. and scene safety!! FYI, did you know that carmex helps to deter the smell of BO, GI bleed smells and Vomitus. My EMT-B instructor who happens to be an EMT-I told me that carmex helps deter foul smells in the Rig. That's if you have a weak stomach. And my pockets on my cargo pants have reflective stripes on the side that helps at night. Our state requires that we wear HI-VIS vests and reflective helmets too. Because if not caught wearing this gear we can get fined up to 10,000 dollars per offense. Remember Safety is 1 in taking care of yourself and your patient.

Mind showing us what this helmet looks like? That's rather interesting to say the least.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Mind showing us what this helmet looks like? That's rather interesting to say the least.

We have to wear helmets and vests as well on any traffic collision.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My helmet has reflective striping on it. We're required to wear them and a traffic vest on traffic accidents. Every ambulance has the hanky ANSI III green vests but I spent some money and got a nice custom vest with all sorts of pockets that's black with a bunch of reflective striping. I always wear the best when I'm supposed to, kinda bad about the helmet unless it's the freeway or a major road/intersection.

8a6ava4a.jpg

As far as pockets I have my phone, two pens (for patients), two sharpies, shears, o2 wrench, narc kit, stethoscope, usually one or two pairs of gloves and Copenhagen. Chest pocket on uniform shirt or shoulder pocket on job shirt has my pens. Belt has my pager, radio and then my narc safe, drug cabinet and post keys on a carabiner hanging from the key loop on the 5.11 belt loops.

Oh I guess I wear my shoulder mic on my chest. I hate those things I wish we'd go back to being able to have handhelds. It didn't fix the problem of crews not hearing radio traffic, should've just given us earpieces and lapel mica if they were so set on us answering every single time right away.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
These are our helmets (in yellow):

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.aspx/productId/11650/Cairns-HP3-Commando-Modern-Helmet-NFPA-OSHA/

We aren't required to wear them on every accident scene, but if we want to be involved in pt care during extrication we do have to wear them during extrication. Yellow high-vis safety vests ARE required on all accident scenes.

Were required to wear ANSI approved high-vis vest as well, it is company provided with the company name on the lower part of the back of the vest. We are not issued turnouts or anything.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hmm. Another "what do you carry" thread.

Okay. I'll play. We are issued a ton of crap. Extrication gear with helmet, (same helmet you have Rob) ballistic vest, ANSI vest and ANSI coat... Most of the time all of that just stays in a gear bag in the truck.

Everyday carry is my radio, two pagers, phone, flashlight, leatherman, keys, scissors, pens and gum. That's all crammed in various pockets or hanging from my radio strap. I've also gotten in the habit of stuffing an ETCO2 cannula and IV start kit in a cargo pocket. Safety glasses and stethoscope are grabbed when I get out of the truck.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
As far as helmets and vests go at my old ambulance company vests were required but helmets not so much, unless extrication was required. At the station traffic collisions we wear full turnouts and a reflective vest although most don't wear the vest due to the reflective tape on the turnouts.

The things I carry in my pockets (shirt and pants) are trauma sheers, pen, sharpie marker, N95, gloves, notepad, can of dip, wallet, phone, and keys. I don't carry anything on my belt other than my keys on a carabiner

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
As far as helmets and vests go at my old ambulance company vests were required but helmets not so much, unless extrication was required. At the station traffic collisions we wear full turnouts and a reflective vest although most don't wear the vest due to the reflective tape on the turnouts.

The things I carry in my pockets (shirt and pants) are trauma sheers, pen, sharpie marker, N95, gloves, notepad, can of dip, wallet, phone, and keys. I don't carry anything on my belt other than my keys on a carabiner

The funny thing is the reflective stuff on turnouts doesn't meet ANSI requirements if I remember correctly. They all have to wear a vest over their turnouts here. If I wear my Globe jacket rather than my rescue vest I have to wear a yellow ANSI vest over the jacket as well.