Violent Patients

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
Does anyone out there have any policy or program for dealing with violent patients, family, bystanders and so on?

Egg

handcuffs if you try punching me. leg irons if ya kick me. LEO when i need my lightwork taken care of....lol:p

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
Besides that, I recommend everybody to learn and practice a martial art since it'll contribute in many aspects of the student's life, and actually will help to prevent engaging into fights and violent incidents.

Martial arts has done wonders for my confidence! I recommend it too!

musashi

Forum Probie
I have been training in Aikido for 15years and have taught for the past 9 years. I've just stumbled on to medicine at the age of 33 and aspire to start med school in a year or two. Today was the first day of my EMT-B course I'm taking this summer. I'm curious if this will come up in discussion over the summer. Aikido is very passive and can be used to "control" rather than "hurt" an opponent. It's vey effecive against a stronger/larger opponent (this works ladies). I have had to use my martial arts in a physical sense twice in 15 years. Both times it worked very well. I agree with a previous comment about the need to study to study martial arts. I said i used it twice in a physical sense but every day I use it in a mental battle that we call life. You become so confident that removing a knife or "subduing" a 300lb crazy dude is instant and will work. The caveat is there is always someone better, more trained, more weapons etc than you. This is why we train every day.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
In the event we were on a call and had a violent patient or bystander or relative of the patient we would call for the police or sheriff's to assist.